Wath come on strong

A STRONG second half performance saw Wath sweep past fellow promoted side Goole with a 26-3 win and move back into fourth place in Yorkshire Two.

Steve Mason’s hat trick was the highlight of an industrious victory against the league’s bottom side.

Wath got the tough test they expected in the first half and carried just a five point margin into the break.

Goole proved a tough nut to crack, their strong defence frustrating Wath at every turn.

Full back Anthony Barratt slotted over a penalty to put Wath in front.

Lock Richard Hill put in a massive hit on the hosts’ full back following a kick chase but nothing came of it for the Moor Roaders.

Goole went on the attack and earned a penalty from the pressure but failed to take advantage.

Possession changed hands frequently but Wath’s only chance came from a break by centre Steve Mason but the final pass was out of reach.

Goole looked certain to score when their number six burst through the midfield but wing Dale Jackson put in a superb covering tackle to deny him.

The pressure from the hosts continued but the Wath defence held out before a quick break handed them the lead.

Dean Hardcastle collected a high kick and from the resulting quick ball, Mason sold a dummy on his opposite number and raced over to score his first.

Goole did manage to get on the scoresheet before the break with a penalty but that would prove their final scoring contribution of the afternoon.

Lock Simon Lines and the Goole number eight were sin-binned early in the half but Wath went into the ascendency.

A superb maul just outside the 22 proved unstoppable and back row Joe Earp dived over despite the obvious pass to prop Brendan Angel.

Number eight Matt Burrows started to break a number of tackles and centre Andy Hopkin found gaps in the midfield.

From one such break, replacement full back Ashley Rothery slotted over a penalty.

Rothery embarked on a weaving run to make good ground with back row Arran Tasker in support but the Goole cover defence proved strong.

Wath recycled the ball well and scored a great team try with play spread into the corner where Mason finished off.

Mason completed his hat trick on the final whistle to secure the four try bonus point.

Wath are back on the road again next week with a trip to Ripon.