Yorkshire League round-up: Mixed fortunes for Sheffield sides as Barnsley lose their lead at the top

editorial image

The bottom four teams clashed last Saturday as the final Yorkshire Premier League neared its end.

Abbeydale Park saw Collegiate host basement side Hull, while United were also at home, hosting Castleford.

Collegiate won the toss and inserted the visitors and immediately skipper Matt Dixon was rewarded as both openers were dismissed without a run scored.

A brief fightback, led by skipper Chris Grey, was quickly stifled as the visitors slumped further to 41-5. Appleyard (32) and Lound (21) fought back valiantly to try and get to a score to give the bowlers some enthusiasm, with a partnership of 60.

However once Dixon brought himself into the attack with his reliable, wily spin, the innings fell away. Taking 4-7 in less than 6 overs, Dixon ran through the lower order and Hull finished 127 all out.

A steady start would see the hosts home comfortably, but Matthew Wilkinson clearly had other ideas. Ben Rooke (0) and Dan Walton (6) both fell to the opening bowler, who also accounted for Billy Root (13), at 56-3.

However Simon Guy was playing expansively at the other end and despite further losses at the other end, the runs continued to flow from his bat.

The Hull attack clearly troubled the remainder of the home team as there were no other double-figure score, but Guy saw his side to within sight of victory, before Wilkinson dismissed him for 80 off just 54 balls, with 12 fours and two sixes.

Henry Eldred and Luke Shutt got Collegiate over the line, to win by three wickets in just 16 overs.

Over at Bawtry Road, United also elected to field but the outcome was not the same as their city rivals. Castleford’s top order all contributed with Sykes (36) skipper Romaniw (51) and Collins (64) taking the side to 161-4, with only former county player David Wainwright dismissed cheaply.

From such a promising position, the middle and lower order failed to capitalise. Dan McLean led the fightback with 3-62 and Matthew Rees returned to clean up the tail to finish with excellent figures of 3-27. Off spinner Anjam finished with 2-65.

Having beaten Castleford in the cup, United were looking for a further win to ensure avoiding the wooden spoon in the final league season. Skipper Lesroy Weekes brought himself up the order to open with Anjam and after a promising start, the chances of a victory quickly diminished with the dismissal of Weekes (18) and the inform Jaco Scholtz (0).

McLean (7) and Anjam (17) quickly followed and despite a patient 29 from Shahzad Ahmed and a quickfire 42 from Jack Roberts, United were never really in the hunt.

A quick flurry from Luqman Asad (28) gave respectability but with the final wicket falling for 171, the points went back up the A1.

The Monday of the double weekend was a complete washout with no fixtures played in the league at all, meaning Barnsley and Rotherham remain behind York in the hunt for the final league title.

Both sides’ recent poor form is now particularly costly as Barnsley lost at home to Doncaster while Rotherham’s blank week meant that with two games left, York lead by 10 points and Barnsley need Harrogate and Collegiate to do them a favour.