Gale saves Yorkshire from follow-on but just misses out on ton

editorial image

Success and sorrow followed hard on each others heels for Andrew Gale on the third day of Yorkshire’s Championship match against Warwickshire at Headingley.

The Yorkshire captain, in compiling his highest score since mid-July last year, managed to save his side from the follow-on.

But soon afterwards, with nine wickets down and Gale standing on 96, he flayed wildly at a full toss from Boyd Rankin and ballooned a catch to Sam Hain running in from cover.

Yorkshire were 303 all out and trailing by 132 on the first innings but it was a big improvement on 249 for eight when they still required a further 37 for safety. They were seen over the line by Gale and Jack Brooks who added 54 together in 14 overs.

Brooks departed when he carved Rankin straight to Laurie Evans at third man to give Gale the strike with five deliveries of the over remaining.

He immediately missed an ungainly heave through the leg-side only to perish off the next ball, having received 182 deliveries and struck 10 fours.

Before the catch had been taken, Gale appeared to spread his arms to umpires Steve Garratt and Jeremy Lloyds asking if the ball had been above waist height but after consulting they gave him out. The wrapping up of the innings by Rankin resulted in him collecting career-best figures of six for 55.

There was an early setback for Warwickshire after tea when Bresnan accounted for Varun Chopra for the second time in the match and Westwood was struck on the right glove by Brooks before he had scored.

Will Porterfield straight drove Middlebrook for six but in attempting another big hit in the same over was caught by Pujara at cover and although the Headingley floodlights were in use for the first time the players had a break for bad light at 93 for two with 12 overs remaining.

Another five overs were bowled on the resumption before play ended for the day with Warwickshire 108 for two and leading by 240, Westwood still there on 48 and Evans seven.