Wigan 2 Barnsley 2: Reds win 4-2 on penalties

editorial image

Barnsley are into the northern final of the Johnstone’s Paint trophy after a dramatic penalty shoot-out win at Wigan Athletic.

Conor Hourihane, Ivan Toney, Sam Winnall and skipper Alfie Mawson netted from the spot after Wthe hosts had made it 2-2 with just eight minutes to go.

The Reds now move on to play either Fleetwood or Morecambe over two legs, with the inners heading to Wembleyfor the final.

Barnsley bossed the first period at the DW Stadium and were worthy leaders at the interval.

The visitors broke the deadlock in the 43rd minute.

Adam Hammill - who had been lively all afternoon thus far - twisted neatly past Jack Hendry before burying a low shot from 20 yards.

It was the second goal for the Reds’ wide-man since he returned to the club.

Earlier Wigan - the 2013 FA Cup winners - had rarely threatened and were booed off at the interval.

Marley Watkins went close for the Reds, while Ben Pearson’s powerful shot was spilled by ‘keeper Jussi Jaaskelainen, only to drift inches over the crossbar for a corner.

Watkins almost doubled Barnsley’s lead in first-half stoppage-time, only for his shot to be deflected into the side-netting.

There was an exciting opening eight minutes of the second half, with Wigan levelling in the 48th minute.

Lewin Nyatanga scored an own-goal as he could only bundle a cross from half-time sub Yanic Wildschut past Adam Davies.

However, by the 53rd minute the Reds were back in front, this time with Toney bagging his maiden goal for the club.

He followed in to head home after Jaaskelainen could only parry Conor Hourihane’s low drive.

The Reds were impressive as they looked to extend their lead, but Hammill (twice) and Watkins were denied by Jaaskelainen.

They were punished for those misses with eight minutes left when former Craig Davies crossed in for Will Grigg, and he crashed into the roof of the net from six yards.

And so it went straight to penalties, and heroic Barnsley made it.

Wigan (5-3-2): Jaaskelainen; Kellett, Pearce, Barnett, Hendry, James; Power, Perkins, Jacobs; Grigg, Revell. Subs: O’Donnell, Davies, Flores, Junior, Wildschut.

Barnsley (4-4-1-1): Davies; Wabara, Mawson, Nyatanga, White; Toney, Pearson, Hourihane, Hammill; Watkins; Winnall. Subs: Townsend, Bree, Williams, Jackson, Isgrove.

Referee: Keith Hill (Hertfordshire).