Stocksbridge back to winning ways but Sheffield FC are pipped by late goal

Joe Lumsden puts Stocksbridge 1-0 up in the 2-1 victory over  Spalding United. Photo: Peter Revitt.
Joe Lumsden puts Stocksbridge 1-0 up in the 2-1 victory over Spalding United. Photo: Peter Revitt.

Injury-hit Stocksbridge Park Steels returned to winning ways following back to back defeats with a richly deserved 2-1 victory over fourth-placed Spalding United at Bracken Moor.

There were early shouts for a penalty when Joe Lumsden appeared to be brought down in the area.

Rory Coleman got in on goal only to shoot wide of the target, then Lumsden thought he had given Steels the lead after stabbing home from a ball over the defence but the striker had the goal harshly ruled out with the match official indicating the keeper had the ball in his hands.

However, neither Stocksbridge nor Lumsden were to be denied as on 33 minutes the forward took a Josh Meade pass in his stride to thump the ball into the bottom corner from 22-yards.

Spalding snatched an equaliser on the stroke of half-time when the Tulips’ leading scorer Josh Moreman got past Meade to hit a low shot that went in via the post.

Stocksbridge, though, always looked to be the more likely winners, and after Matt Reay had seen his effort hit the post before bouncing into the keepers grateful arms Chris Hilton side grabbed the decisive goal on 67 minutes.

Corey Gregory picked up the ball on the right side before cutting inside to send a superb 25 yard left foot shot into the top corner to condemn the visitors to a fifth straight defeat.

Shaw Lane Aquaforce drew 1-1 at play-off rivals Basford United

The home side edged in front on 12 minutes but Lee Morris netted from the penalty spot on the stroke of half-time that also saw the hosts reduced to 10 men.

However, Craig Elliott’s side couldn’t make the numerical advantage count and the Ducks having to make do with a point.

In the Sunday afternoon game, Sheffield FC were robbed of what would had been a deserved point by a late goal in 4-3 defeat at Romulus. Club found themselves 2-0 down in the first half before Benny Igi-Ehon gave them hope just before the break tucking home from close range after Devante Jacobs had knocked down a cross.

Romulus restored the two- goal cushion early in the second half after a corner had not been dealt with. However, Igi-Ehon with his second of the game pulled one back before the striker completed his hat-trick with a neat finish at the near post from a James Gregory cross with just a couple of minutes remaining only for Romulus to grab the winner in injury time.

Two soft goals conceded just before the interval saw depleted Frickley Athletic go down to a disappointing 2-0 at home against Rushall Olympic to leave Karl Rose’s side with just one win from the last eight outings.

Buxton lost out 3-1 at play-off rivals Ashton United. Greg Young nodded in from a 65th minute corner to cancel out the hosts 18th minute opener. But it took just four minutes for Ashton to restore the lead and within a minute the home side had added a third with a spectacular free-kick.