Result: Oldham Athletic 2 Doncaster Rovers 2 - Rovers clinch draw in last-kick drama

Harry Forrester on the ball for Rovers
Harry Forrester on the ball for Rovers

Rovers fought back to equalise with the last kick of the game and stretch their unbeaten run to five matches.

Goals from Jabo Ibehre and George Elokobi looked to have put the hosts out of sight after a difficult week due to the Ched Evans saga.

But the sending off of former Rovers loanee Joe Mills and a goal from substitute Nathan Tyson made for a nervy finish.

And just when it seemed as though time had run out for Rovers, James Coppinger dribbled through a crowded area and slammed into the far corner to secure a share of the spoils.

There was plenty of controversy during the game with questions over Oldham’s second, Mills’ dismissal and Tyson’s strike.

Oldham were largely the brighter side in the opening 45 minutes, quicker to the ball, more composed in possession, though failing to create many clear cut openings.

Rovers on the other hand produced more errors in possession than they had in the previous four games and at times looked panicky in defending.

However, they did create the better chances in the first half.

Harry Forrester twice hit the woodwork, with Oldham keeper Paul Rachubka well beaten on both occasions.

Oldham - still reeling from the Evans affair which catapulted their name into the national headlines throughout the week - had the first chance.

After defending a long ball particularly well, Luke McCullough took a horrible touch which sent the ball out for a corner. And from the corner, Jonathan Forte powered a header at the back post over the bar.

Kyle Bennett came into the side to replace Africa Cup of Nations bound Dean Furman, a player who has been so key for Rovers during their recent upturn in form.

And he looked in prime position to score on 11 minutes when receiving an Enda Stevens cut-back ten yards out but skewed his first time strike well wide.

Forrester hit the bar on 14 minutes, cutting inside from the left and curling a superb shot from 20 yards which bounced out off the upright.

Butler headed narrowly wide from a corner after good build-up play from Rovers but Oldham then took the lead.

Ibehre took advantage of woeful defending from Rovers to give his side the lead on 23 minutes.

First, Andy Butler failed to judge the bounce of a long ball forward, allowing Jonathan Forte to nip in and dart forward.

Then three Rovers defenders were all drawn towards Forte, leaving Ibehre to strike when receiving his strike partner’s pass completely unmarked 15 yards out.

Forrester again found the woodwork as Rovers looked to cancel out Ibehre’s opener.

He allowed Stevens’ pass inside to go across his body and drilled a first time strike which ricocheted off Rachubka’s near post.

Full back Brian Wilson ran onto a blocked free kick attempt around 35 yards out and lashed a low first time effort which flew just wide of Sam Johnstone’s goal.

Rovers looked to have been left with a mountain to climb to preserve their unbeaten run after falling two goals behind at Boundary Park.

And there is likely to be some controversy over Oldham’s second which required a call from referee’s assistant R Joyce as to whether the ball crossed the line.

George Elokobi powered a header on goal which Sam Johnstone appeared to have kept out, only for Joyce to flag for a goal.

Paul Dickov threw on Nathan Tyson and Curtis Main in a bid to get back into the game.

But Rovers too often went with long balls looking for the pair and struggled for attacking fluidity and possession.

Carl Wincehster went close to adding a third for Oldham after stabbing a shot wide from Jabo Ibehre’s cross.

Rovers lookd to have been handed a lifeline at Boundary Park after pulling a goal back moments after hosts Oldham went down to ten men.

Former Rovers loanee Mills was sent off in a bizarre incident which saw referee Carl Boyeson consult both of his assistants before eventually flashing the red.

Mills had put in a hefty challenge on Coppinger but Boyeson had allowed play to continue, sparking a large coming together.

And just three minutes later, Rovers struck back to to anger of the home support.

Tyson and keeper Paul Rachubka rose to contest a high ball with both men falling.

Tyson then hooked the ball over the line.

Oldham retreated deeper to protect their lead with Rovers pushing hard well into five minutes of added time.

And right at the death, Coppinger picked up the ball on the right, cut inside past several challenges and drilled into the far corner.

Oldham: Rachubka, B Wilson, J Wilson, Elokobi, Mills, Winchester, Kelly, Philliskirk, Jones, Ibehre, Forte.

Subs: Coleman, Brown, Dieng, Dayton, Poleon, Mellor, Morgan-Smith.

Rovers: Johnstone, Wabara, McCullough, Butler, Stevens, Keegan, Coppinger, Wellens, Bennett, Forrester, Robinson.

Subs: Marosi, Wakefield, McCombe, De Val, Middleton, Main, Tyson.

Referee: Carl Boyeson (East Yorkshire)