Result: Doncaster Rovers 1 Swindon Town 2 - Rovers beaten by last-minute goal

Curtis Main celebrates his opener for Rovers. Photo: Steve Uttley
Curtis Main celebrates his opener for Rovers. Photo: Steve Uttley

A second half double strike by automatic promotion-seekers Swindon Town meant a 2-1 home defeat for Doncaster Rovers after Curtis Main produced a fine first-time finish to fire Rovers into a half time lead.

Main got ahead of his man to meet Nathan Tyson’s cross and turn home past Wes Foderingham.

Rovers started brightly as they chased a return to the top six against automatic promotion chasing Swindon.

Michael Smith fired the game’s first shot but it proved to be a simple stop for Stephen Bywater.

Both Nathan Tyson and Reece Wabara produced teasing crosses for Rovers within seconds of each other but none of their team mates could connect.

Jonson Clarke-Harris just failed to connect with a superb pass from Richie Wellens who had bee sent scarpering by Kyle Bennett - back in the side in place of Harry Forrester.

Smith again found his foil in Bywater as Swindon began to edge into the game with his strike from the edge of the box palmed away.

Swindon began to control possession as the half wore on but Rovers hit them with Main’s opener on 41 minutes.

Swindon equalised with a penalty in the 55th minute after Dean Furman fouled Ben Gladwin, Michal Smith sending his spot-kick into the bottom right hand corner.

Rovers rallied immediately but Jonson Clarke-Harris’s long shot was narrowly wide.

Gladwin fired wide for Swindon and Maine’s effort was over at the other end.

Main went close again but was just wide before Tyson had a shot saved.

After 69 minutes Rovers made a double substitution, Harry Forrester and Theo Robinson coming on for Bennett and Clarke-Harris.

And the two subs went close as Rovers chased the winner, Forrester firing over from a direct free kick and Robinson firing wide.

But the visitors struck in the last minute of normal time, 79th minute sub Obika making it 2-1 to Swindon with a left-footed shot into the bottom right corner after Jack Stephens created the chance.

Rovers: Bywater, Wabara, McCullough, Butler, Stevens, Furman, Bennett, Wellens, Tyson, Clarke-Harris, Main.

Subs: Marosi, McCombe, Robinson, Evina, Middleton, Razak, Forrester

Swindon: Foderingham, Branco, Thompson N, Turnbull, Byrne, Stephens, Gladwin, Kasim, Toffolo, Swift, Smith

Subs: Johns, Rodgers, Ouldridge, Hylton, Obika, Williams.