Reslut: Barnsley 0 Chester 0 - Reds held at home by Conference club in FA Cup

Barnsley's Joe Dudgeon clears the ball off the line
Barnsley's Joe Dudgeon clears the ball off the line

Barnsley face an FA Cup second round replay at Chester City after failing to see off the Conference side at Oakwell.

Reds boss Danny Wilson made four changes to the starting 11 which drew 1-1 with Doncaster Roveres in midweek.

Manchester City loan striker Devante Cole missed out with a suspected injury, while midfielder James Bailey was also absent from the match-day squad.

Youngster Mason Holgate and Reece Brown dropped to the substitute’s

bench, with Joe Dudgeon, Kane Hemmings, Brad Abbott and Martin Cranie restored to the starting line-up.

Left-back Dudgeon returned from injury, while skipper Martin Cranie was back after a one-match suspension for five yellow cards.

After a quarter of an hour Barnsley’s Kane Hemmings forced a smart save from Chester keeper Jon Worsnop

But four minutes later they lost centre-back Peter Ramage, who hobbled off with a thigh injury to be replaced by Reece Brown

The Conference visitors came close after 22 minutes when Craig Mahon’s powerful shot was well-saved by keeper Ross Turnbull, but the ball bounced up and hit the crossbar before the Reds cleared their lines.

The Reds’ Hourihane picked out Hemmings with a lovely pass, but the former Cowdenbeath striker took too long over his shot - and it was brilliantly blocked by Kieran Charnock.

Chester came within a whisker of scoring deep into first half added time when Craig Hobson’s bullet header from a Sean McConville corner was amazingly cleared off the line by Joe Dudgeon.

The visitors came close again early in the second half when a Brown mistake allowed Craig Mahon to break clear, but the midfielder’s left-foot strike was brilliantly saved by Turnbull.

At the other end Hourihane teed up Trotta, but his left-foot strike flew wide of the left post.

City’s John Rooney, brother of England and Manchester United striker Wayne, had a fierce long-range drive blocked.

As Barnsley came again Luke Berry had a powerful shot deflected wide for a corner.

Abbott was replaced by Dale Jennings as Reds manager Danny Wilson freshened things.

Hourihane set up Jennings, but his right-foot shot was saved by Worsnop.

Mahon has a dipping shot which flies inches over the crossbar.

Barnsley made a last-ditch double attempt in a bid to avoid a replay at Chester in an incredible finish to the game.

Worsop thwarted Trotta with a wonderful save and then Hemmings’ goalbound shot was headed off the line by Brown.

Barnsley: Turnbull, Dudgeon, Nyatanga, Ramage, Cranie, Berry,

Hourihane, Abbott, Hemmings, Trotta, Lita.

Subs: Davies, Brown, Treacy, Jennings, Digby, Holgate, Cowgill.

Chester: Worsnop, G Roberts, Charnock, Brown, Kay, James, Rooney,

Mahon, McConville, Heneghan, Hobson. Subs: C Roberts, Touray, Harrison, Greenop, Menagh, Riley.

Referee: Darren Handley (Bolton).

Att: 7,227