Poor show sees Frickley beaten at third-bottom Marine

editorial image

Frickley Athletic crashed 2-0 at third-bottom Marine after a bitterly disappointing showing.

Stephen Wainwright opened the scoring in the 19th and Jamie Menagh rifled in a excellent 25 yard strike eight minutes later.

Eight points adrift of the Blues before the game the Mariners were far more up for their task and deserved the win, showing superior desire and commitment.

Karl Rose had a fully fit squad to choose from and had Danny South starting in a three-pronged attack whilst Bobby Johnson came into midfield. Luke Hornsey and Brad Riley made way and were on the bench.

The hosts threatened in the fourth minute when Lewis Codling sprinted from half way to have a low 20-yard shot saved by Ben Simpson.

The Blues carved out a chance as Johnson played in South but the striker was off balance and could only fire in a weak shot straight at Matthew Cooper.

Wainwright then put Marine ahead as he received the ball on the Marine right some 30 yards out and immediately burst into the box before firing in a low angled shot in off the far post.

Things went from bad to worse on 27 minutes when Menagh seized on a loose ball 25 yards out and hit a fantastic first time shot which gave Simpson no chance as it flew into the top right-hand corner.

The Blues threatened towards the end of the half as Matt Bloor fired over from 15 yards following a cross from the tireless Reece Thompson on the right and then Luke Hinsley shot just over the bar from 20 yards.

The second half was largely a non-event with Marine content to keep the Blues at arm’s length.

South did go close in the 52nd minute when he headed a Jake Stannard cross just wide before John Cyrus also headed wide on 57 minutes.

Marine came close a third but Simpson deflected Ellams’s 18-yard shot wide.

Frickley Athletic : Simpson, Stannard, Jeffs (Hornsey 51 mins) Johnson, Cyrus, Ible, Hinsley, Bloor, Reece Thompson, Allott (Riley 78 mins), South. Salt, Parkinson, Leigh.

Attendance : 364