Match report: Barnsley 0 Wigan Athletic 0

Barnsley v Wigan Athletic
Barnsley v Wigan Athletic

Barnsley just couldn't find a way past a stubborn Wigan defence as the home fans had to settle for a second consecutive Championship goalless draw.

The Reds stretched their unbeaten run to four games, though, and boss Paul Heckingbottom will at least be content to have secured another clean sheet.

It proved to be a feisty opening period at Oakwell.

The Reds created the bulk of the chances, with Sam Winnall nodding inches wide as he rose superbly to meet Andy Yiadom's out-swinging cross.

Former Red David Perkins tested Adam Davies in the Reds' goal, but back came the Reds with Marley Watkins seeing an acrobatic angled effort saved well by Adam Bogdan.

Winnall did head the ball into the Wigan net seconds before the interval, but he was denied by a linesman's flag.

The Reds impressed at the start of the second period.

Young loanee Adam Armstrong saw a shot deflected narrowly wide, while James Bree fired in a half-volley which just flashed past Bogdan and over the top.

At the other end Wigan replied with Craig Morgan headed just past the post.

The Reds were in need of some inspiration, and it nearly came from Armstrong, whose 25-yard curler just cleared the crossbar.

Wigan ought to have struck in the 65th minute when Perkins released Yanic Wildschut through on goal. However, the Dutch striker fired tamely at Adam Davies from the edge of the box.

Conor Hourihane curled a free-kick just over the top in what proved to be the Reds' best late effort.

Barnsley (4-4-2): Davies; Bree, Roberts, Jackson, Yiadom; Watkins, Scowen, Hourihane, Kent (Hammill, 74); Winnall (Bradshaw, 87), Armstrong (Janko, 90).

Subs not used: Townsend, MacDonald, Kay, Williams.

Wigan (4-1-4-1): Bogdan (Jaaskelainen, 59); Burke, Buxton, Morgan, Warnock; MacDonald; Jacobs, Wildschut (Davies, 81), Power, Perkins; Powell (Garbutt, 30).

Subs not used: Byrne, Flores, Grigg, Le Fondre.

Referee: Jeremy Simpson (Lancashire).