London Bees 0 Doncaster Belles 9: Sunderland FAWSL2 champions; Belles finish second

Gordon Staniforth, Belles manager. Photo via Getty Images
Gordon Staniforth, Belles manager. Photo via Getty Images

The Belles ended their season in style but it was Sunderland who clinched the FAWSL2 title thanks to a second half rout at Millwall Lionesses.

Doncaster, who suffered a high profile FA demotion from the top flight last season, knew a win at The Hive and dropped points from leaders Sunderland away to Millwall would see the title making its way to South Yorkshire.

And they found themselves topping the table momentarily as Beth England headed home a Sue Smith corner to give Doncaster a fifth minute lead.

The Belles doubled their advantage four minutes later through a fine solo effort from Courtney Sweetman-Kirk.

Jess Sigsworth then got in the goals, firing in a Smith lay-off as the Belles found themselves 3-0 up inside the first 12 minutes.

Mille Bright waded in with Doncaster’s fourth as London were rocked with less than 20 minutes on the clock.

However, seconds later at The Den, Sunderland’s Kelly McDougall put the FAWSL2 back in the hands of the Lady Black Cats with an opener against Milwall, restoring their two-point gap at the top of the table.

Both Doncaster - who had a penalty appeal waved away - and Sunderland had first half goals disallowed as the duo did everything they could to grab the title.

Doncaster added to their scoreline in bizarre circumstances as Anneka Nuttall chested the ball which sailed over the head of goalkeeper Sophie Harris for 5-0 at half time.

A trademark Smith long range effort fired second-placed Doncaster 6-0 infront after the restart with Sunderland hitting the bar through Rachel Furness.

Furness then got her rewards moments later with a goal as Keira Ramshaw made sure the league remained in the North East, easing Sunderland into a 3-0 lead.

Bright, Rhiannon Roberts and Sweetman-Kirk sent Doncaster 9-0 up but Sunderland wrapped up their promotion into FAWSL1 via an Abbey Joice strike for 4-0, finishing off a dramatic final day of the FAWSL2 season.