Local football: Denaby United stay top

Steve Ellor
Steve Ellor

Denaby United remained a point clear at the top of the County Senior League Division One after a 2-1 success over midtable Ecclesfield Red Rose.

Steve Ellor’s 15th & 16th goals for the season got United a deserved three points despite a late scare in the victory.

United started well with a couple of opportunities in the early stages, firstly, Danny Clark headed on for Steve Ellor but the home keeper Stovold raced out to block.

Moments later Ben Parker forced an outstanding save from the keeper when he directed a header at goal after a cross from Elliott Goddard with Red Rose scrambling the loose ball clear.

Ecclesfield responded with a couple of strikes at goal themselves with Barnett firing goalwards with the United keeper watching it safely wide, before Grant ran onto a flicked header but lobbed the ball over keeper Ben Priestley and over the bar.

Tony Mullen was in good form at the back for United and helped to allow the side to look forwards, and they were given the perfect opportunity to take the lead when the home side were penalised for a handball in the box.

Ellor stepped up to dispatch the penalty and give United a deserved lead.

United almost made it two when a quick break saw Scott Jones find Ainsley Finney who raced forward, rounded the keeper and stroked the ball at goal. Unfortunately for Finney, Red Rose defender Kelly raced back to clear off the line.

On 44 minutes the home side should have had a penalty, as Grant got clear and raced to goal before Ryan Scott put in a last ditch tackle without getting the ball bringing Grant to the ground.

However the referee turned down the home sides’ penalty shouts, and the game remained 1-0 at half time.

United made it two five minutes into the second period when a sublime lofted pass over the defence from Finney fell perfectly for Ellor who stroked it past the keeper.

The home side then fired a free kick against the post before the referee gave them the chance to score from the spot after a shove in the area. O’Neill put the spot kick away to reduce the arrears.

A nervy United then held on under late pressure as they claimed another three points, despite another late penalty shout.