Keys go down for a second week

Crowle Keys 3

Baysgarth Old Boys 4

FOR the second successive week Keys went down four-three to a team from Barton upon Humber and were left scratching their heads as to how.

Since Baysgarth’s last visit to Windsor Park three years ago they have been promoted twice and relegated once and have thus earned a reputation as a fire and ice club.

Their 11 players on Sunday were somewhere in the middle - lukewarm water perhaps - and played their part in an entertaining, evenly matched and at times lively encounter.

Keys had the edge in the first half with Josh Simpson at his combative best all over the field and both Aaron Taylor and Matthew Teal demonstrating their dribbling talents. Taylor and Jamie Smyth had shots on goal but it was Baysgarth who took the lead just before half time although Smyth outpaced their defence two minutes into the second half and slotted the ball into the goal to draw the Keys level.

Stung into action, Baysgarth opened a two-goal lead before the hour mark but Aaron Taylor scored from a narrow angle on the right with over twenty-five minutes remaining. Crowle piled forward looking for the equaliser and had their chances improved following a tackle on Simpson which led to him tangling with the tackler. A frank exchange of views between the two players involving some post-watershed language saw them both awarded a yellow card - the second of the game for the Baysgarth player who watched the rest of the game from the sidelines.

With only five minutes left on the clock, Keys forced a corner. Throwing caution to the wind they crowded the Baysgarth penalty area and when the ball fell at the feet of Jay Brears, the home supporters could almost taste their first point of the season. Unfortunately, Brears missed his shot and the ball was cleared upfield where it found Lewis Barnes in enough space to pick his spot and seal the victory. Joe Taylor scored the goal of the game from outside the box on eighty-seven minutes and Crowle almost equalised in stoppage time when Callum Brears’ cross was headed over the bar by Simpson.

Keys take a break from league action this Sunday when they travel to Beacon Rangers in the Ted Harrison Cup.