Groves lose man but win

Peter Brooks Honda Mexborough and District Sunday Football League

TEN man Groves Social came back from a goal down at half–time to beat Welfare 3-2 and keep their faint title hopes alive.

Andrew Wood scored in the first half but it did not go Groves’ way as Neil Spruce was dismissed and Welfare established a 2-1 lead.

But Groves rocketed back after the break with goals from Steven Ellor and Daniel Smith to seal the win.

Groves are currently 12 points off top spot with three games in hand.

Queens United maintained their own outside title ambtions with a 4-1 win over Station 2007, their first victory in three.

The Dearne Valley moved joint top of the table with a 11-3 triumph over rock bottom Thurnscoe Coronation.

Dearne are level on points with leaders Swinton WMC but have played a game more.

MATTY Wilson scored four as Mexborough Weatherspoons stepped up their bid for the second tier title with an 8-1 mauling of struggling Telstar.

Tobias Dwyer netted a hat trick while Matthew Brackley was also on the scoresheet for Weatherspoons who have eight games in hand over leaders Ingsfield Lane and 24 points to make up.

George and Dragon remain in promotion contention after a 10-1 demolition of Plough Inn while second placed title chasers Bolton Social saw off Cromwells 3-1.

THE Division Two title seems to be the one no–one wants to win given last weekend’s scores.

Current leaders Ivanhoe were held to a 0-0 draw by fellow contenders Albert Road while second placed Roman FC failed to capitalise as they could only manage a 1-1 draw at Mexborough Miners Arms.

Goals from Harley Cousins and Liam Jackson helped Cafe Sport to a 2-0 win over Mexborough Main Street Reserves.

Dave Harrison and Chris Hargrave proved in vain as Conisbrough Station lost 4-2 at Cross Keys.

The Staithes and Boy and Barrel battled out a thrilling 3-3 draw.

David Winnard gave Staithes the lead but Barrel equalised.

Winnard netted his second before the break, only for Barrel to equalise again.

Jamie Walton looked to have sealed the game as Staithes followed up with several chances that crashed back off the post.

But Barrel grabbed another equaliser to take a well deserved point.

Stone House thrashed Red Lion Wath 6-0 to maintain their outsiders promotion bid.

DOMINIC Sessay starred as Westville reached the Diary Dates Cup semi–final with a 4-0 win over Goldthorpe Comrades.

Sessay calmly dealt with a lot of pressure from the Comrades to pave the wave for Westville’s triumph.

A tremendous Nicky Harper strike gave Westville a first half lead.

After the break, Jamie Williams scored twice with Danny Stewart also on target to send Westville through.

SWINTON WMC reached the George Jowett final after edging out Woodman Inn 1-0.

Jeff Thomas’ late goal sent Swinton through with minutes to spare.