Full-time: Rotherham United 1 Cardiff City 3

editorial image

Relegation-threatened Rotherham United have suffered their sixth home defeat of the season, losing 3-1 at the AESSEAL New York Stadium to Cardiff City tonight.

Goals from Bruno Ecuele Manga, Federico Macheda and Conor McAleny put the Bluebirds in complete control at half-time.

And it could have been even worse had former Miller Alex Revell not had a goal ruled out for offside just before the interval.

Danny Ward pulled a goal back in the 80th minute but the damage had been done in the first period.

But it was the Millers who started the brighter and they could have been in front had Matt Derbyshire not had a goal ruled out for offside himself.

Derbyshire pounced on a miscued clearance and turned home but saw the assistant raise his flag.

Manga headed Cardiff in front with their first effort on goal as the Millers were punished for slack defending.

The defender charged in to meet a corner and powered a free header past Adam Collin from seven yards out with 24 minutes gone.

And with the Millers barely given time to recover, Macheda struck for the Bluebirds two minutes later with a classy finish.

McAleny punished more slack marking from the Millers to put Cardiff in complete command a

McAleny found himself unmarked at the back post and poked the ball home on 35 minutes.

On the hour mark, Revell almost put through his own net when trying to defend a Kari Arnason long throw but Moore kept it out.

Collin produced a stunning double stop to thwart Gunnarsson and Revell as Cardiff pressed for a fourth.

Millers striker Ward then flashed a deflected effort over the top before reducing the deficit in the 81st minute. He headed home from close range following a mazy run and cross by Adam Hammill.

In the closing minutes, Paul Green fired off target as Rotherham failed to grab another consolation.

Millers: Collin, Hunt, Arnason, Broadfoot, Fryers, Newton, Green, Smallwood, Pringle, Ward, Derbyshire

Subs: Thompson, Frecklington, Milsom, Richardson, Sammon, Hammill, Clarke-Harris.

Cardiff: Marshall, Connolly, Peltier, Morrison, Ecuele Manga, Gunnarsson, Ralls, Kennedy, McAleny, Macheda, Revell.

Subs: Moore, Fabio, Noone, O’Keefe, Harris, Doyle, Jones.

Attendance: 8,534

Referee: James Adcock