Football: Petty cashes in as United win

Denaby United FC.
Denaby United FC.

Denaby United withstood a spirited fightback from Hemsworth, to reach the semi-finals of the Doncaster & District FA Challenge Cup.

United raced into a 3-0 lead before Hemsworth, who also had two goals ruled out for offside and had a man sent off, fought back to 3-3.

With just two minutes remaining, however, Ross Petty netted the winner to send United through to the last four.

The meeting was the third of the season between these two sides, with the two previous league games both tightly-contested affairs.

Hemsworth, fourth in the Doncaster Senior League’s Premier Division, took the fight to the league leaders early on, and a cross from the right saw Graham Phillips’ header flash wide.

United then enjoyed their first attack of the game, and they went ahead on 15 minutes from the penalty spot.

Striker Steve Ellor was played through on goal, and Hemsworth goalkeeper Ben Sawden bundled him over in the box.

Ellor picked himself up to dispatch the penalty with ease.

Hemsworth responded in good fashion, forcing United goalkeeper Ben Priestly into two good saves.

But at the other end of the field, United doubled their advantage with another penalty.

Ellor was again fouled, this time by Ben Clacker. Despite Hemsworth’s protests that the challenge was outside the box, the penalty was awarded and Ellor again gave Sawden no chance from the spot.

Four minutes before half time, United scored their third and seemingly wrapped up the game.

Craig Loftus fed Paul Hemmingway down the right, and his low cross across the goal area was side footed home by Andrew Wood.

Hemsworth ended the half on the front foot, however, and one strike at goal hit the left post and travelled across the line, before Mark Gedney cleared to safety.

United began the second half by replacing the injured James Lundy with Daniel Hooper, but Hemsworth began to dominate and United’s Ryan Scott was lucky to escape with only a caution when he tripped a Hemsworth forward who was through on goal.

Priestly was forced into a fantastic save from the resulting free-kick.

Five minutes after the break, Hemsworth reduced the defecit when Phillips swept home a cross from Lee Carrington.

Eight minutes later, Hemsworth reduced the arrears further when Scott glanced a header past his own goalkeeper. Just after the hour mark, Hemsworth thought they had levelled, before their celebrations were cut short by an offside flag.

They did draw level on 72 minutes, when Neil Pickersgill scored from 25 yards, and they had the ball in the net again shortly after.

Karl Roberts’ effort was again disallowed, however. His protests to the assistant referee went too far, and he was promptly sent off.

There was further bad news for Hemsworth, when Petty skipped a challenge and rifled home.