Steve Ellor bagged a brace for Denaby United
Steve Ellor bagged a brace for Denaby United

Despite a brave second-half fightback, a threadbare Denaby United team were beaten 4-2 by New Bohemians.

Some players were genuinely unavailable but others simply failed to turn up, so United travelled to Brinsworth to face the second-bottom side with only one substitute.

Despite this they opened brightly and a neat move involving Grant Hill, Steve Ellor and Ben Parker just failed to produce anything.

A dangerous low cross by Hill was cleared and United fell behind in the seventh minute when Matt Daley headed home.

United responded well and Ben Parker, back after injury, had a header saved by keeper Nick Wells.

Denaby keeper Jordan Devers made a fine save from Sean Sly before a spell of Denaby pressure which saw a Parker header, a Cantrill cross and a Hill shot come to nothing.

United then went further behind on 15 minutes, to a header by tall front man John Heritage.

The visitors suffered a further setback when Ainslie Finney went off injured with sub, Under-21 player Paul Haines replacing him.

Ellor shot just over then had a great chance to reduce the arrears but his shot towards the far post was saved by the keeper’s legs. The half finished with further efforts from Hill and Parker as well as Devers making a save from Brad Foley.

United started the second half brightly, a driven cross from Parker in the opening minute just evaded the stretching Ellor, but their task became harder when Bohemians scored a third on 49 minutes through Adam Smith.

Devers made two fine saves but United suffered a further bow on 57 minutes when Tommy Harrison was red-carded for reacting to an attempted elbow by raising his hands to the player’s face.

Bohemians made it 4-0 on 72 minutes when sub Craig Fox with the referee ignoring offside claims.

But Denaby did not give up and reduced the arrears on 75 minutes. Grant Hill was crudely brought down in the penalty area and Steve Ellor stepped up to smash the penalty in off the inside of the post.

This seemed to perk up the Reds and they made it 4-2 when a Parker shot was saved by the keeper with his legs and the rebound fell to Ellor who drove home his second of the game.

As United pressed Ryan Scott fed Ellor whose shot was blocked and Craig Loftus, who had ventured forward from defence, put in a right wing cross that Hill headed over but time ran out for United who will feel badly let down by those who failed to turn up.