Evo-Stik Premier: Frickley prove a point in third consecutive draw

Gavin Allott
Gavin Allott

Frickley were forced to settle for a point after squandering a two-goal lead against Worksop Town.

But the point - their third in three league games - did extend Athletic’s unbeaten run to six games, ahead of their crucial Boxing Day clash away at Stocksbridge Park Steels.

Gavin Allott gave Frickley a dream start after just five minutes. A succession of corners built some early pressure, and from one Allott was on hand to force the ball home from a yard out after a scramble in the box.

It could have been two when Allott combined with Luke Hinsley to set up Jake Picton, but the striker’s shot was deflected into the side netting.

The resulting corner from Luke Jeffs found Matty Bloor, but his header from six yards went over the bar.

But the Blues did double their lead 18 minutes into the game, when Allott scored from the penalty spot. Joe Wilcox had been brought down by a lunging Chris Salt, as he shaped to shoot at goal.

Bloor headed over another Jeffs set piece after 22 minutes, and a minute later Worksop had their first effort on goal.

Jack Muldoon cut in from the left, but his shot went over the bar of James Hitchcock, continuing in goal in the absence of Tom Woodhead and Ben Simpson.

Frickley, also without the suspended Sam Denton and injured Ryan Paczkowski, saw their lead cut to one after 25 minutes, when Worksop pulled a goal back.

Phil Roe’s ball into the box was headed out by Andy Villermann, but only as far as Conor Higginson on the edge of the box.

And Higginson needed no second invitation to shoot, rifling a controlled shot past Hitchcock.

Two minutes later, Allott was given the chance to restore his side’s two-goal cushion from the penalty spot, after Tyler Collishaw was bundled over inside the box by Alex Pursehouse.

But Worksop goalkeeper Jan Budtz got a hand to the spot-kick and pushed it past the post.

Athletic hit the Worksop bar on the half-hour mark, and Town’s Shane Clarke had a goal rulled out for offside ten minutes before half-time.

And it was just after the half-hour mark when Worksop equalised, with the on-fire Leon Mettam finding the net again.

Steve Gardner was adjudged to have handled in the box, and Mettam put away the penalty.

n Frickley Athletic: Hitchcock, Gardner, Villermann (Stratford, 90), Picton, Wilcox, Jeffs, Collishaw (Kenny, 80), Bloor, Hinsley, Allott, Ghaichem. Unused subs: Fearon, Davies, Hood.

n Worksop Town: Budtz (Barnett, 83), Pursehouse, Roe, Scott, Hill, Salt, Muldoon, Clarke, Denton, Mettam, Higginson (Cole, 75). Unused subs: Hague, McKenzie, Husbands.