Evo-Stik League: Jimmy’s late strike is the only joy as Blues fall 3-1 against Town

Frickley v Kendal Town. Jimmy Ghaichem
Frickley v Kendal Town. Jimmy Ghaichem

Frickley’s game against Matlock Town last weekend was one of few to beat the weather - but the Blues slipped to a disappointing 3-1 home defeat, with swirling winds causing problems for both sides.

Jimmy Ghaichem’s 84th minute effort was all Frickley had to show for their efforts, and by that time they were already three goals down.

With Ben Simpson and Gavin Allott suspended, Karl Rose handed James Hitchcock and Leon Osborne recalls but the Blues were soon under pressure, when Shaun Tuton fired an early shot into the side netting after beating Kasper Amdal.

Seven minutes later, Tuton had another chance to open the scoring but Hitchcock blocked his shot from a tight angle.

And in the 17th minute, Matlock’s pressure paid off as they scored the game’s opening goal, in freak circumstances.

Former Blues player James Ashmore curled a corner from the left, which moved dangerously in the wind and nestled in Hitchcock’s top corner.

It took until the 23rd minute for the Blues to threaten the Matlock goal. Osborne sent Steve Gardner away down the right but his cross was just too deep for Luke Hinsley.

Hinsley retrieved the ball and fed Fernando Moke, whose own cross was too high for the onrushing Jake Picton.

Four minutes later Moke cut in from the right before seeing his 18-yard shot deflected wide off Oscar Radford, and Picton then headed straight at Jon Kennedy following a free-kick from the right by Gardner.

But Matlock extended their lead on the half-hour mark, as Liam Needham dummied Danny Holland’s pass, allowing Tuton the space to beat Hitchcock from 15 yards.

Matlock ‘keeper Kennedy then had a let-off in the 39th minute when the ball slipped out of his hands as he prepared to throw it out and rolled towards Hinsley.

Kennedy threw his body at the striker as he shot but was fortunate to not concede a free-kick on the edge of the box as Hinsley went down under the challenge.

Any hopes of a second-half Frickley revival were dashed just two minutes after the whistle, when Tuton added his second and Town’s third.

Hitchcock came out to meet a harmless-looking throughball, but Tuton charged down the kick and ran the ball into the empty net.

Frickley did manage to get on the scoresheet with six minutes left, when George Grayson’s corner was cleared only as far as second-half substitute Ghaichem 22 yards out. His thunderous first-time shot flew into the top left hand corner.

n Frickley: Hitchcock, Gardner (Villermann, 61), Grayson, Picton, Denton, Amdal, Moke, Wilcox, Hinsley, Osborne (Paczkowski, 69), Kenny (Ghaichem, 45).

n Unused substitutes: Jeffs, Hood.