Doncaster Rovers Belles 1-0 Liverpool

IT was a tale of two goalkeepers as the Belles saw off Liverpool to pick up their first home win in the Women’s Super League.

Belles keeper Helen Alderson starred, saving a second half penalty and producing a brilliant acrobatic stop deep in added time to seal the 1-0 triumph.

And at the opposite end, Andrea Worrall was the guilty party in Liverpool’s defeat as she dropped an innocuous Aine O’Gorman cross into her own net.

It was far from a vintage performance for the Belles but they had the better of what was a scrappy affair against a side who have struggled so far this season.

Powerful Reds forward Ruesha Littlejohn fired the first warning shot, finding space on the edge of the area and curling a right footed effort narrowly wide.

Liverpool threatened again a minute later from a superb long ball from Nicki Harding.

Keeper Alderson failed to make a strong claim allowing Kelly Jones to get a head to the ball only to see it fly just wide.

Liverpool thought they had the lead on the half hour when Katie Brusell broke clear and drilled into the bottom corner.

But referee Helen Fulcher had already blown her whistle for a foul on Littlejohn in the build up, much to Liverpool’s despair.

It was a decision the visitors would rue five minutes later when the Belles took the lead.

O’Gorman surged down the left and delivered a routine cross to the near post.

Worrall rose to claim under no pressure but fumbled the ball and dropped it over the line.

The Belles produced a composed performance in the second half with the lead rarely under threat.

Vicky Exley created a chance from nothing shortly after, drilling a superb half volley from 30 yards which Worrall tipped around the post.

The Belles’ hard work looked set to be undone on 57 minutes when Liverpool were awarded a controversial penalty.

Brusell’s shot cannoned back off Amy Turner with referee Fulcher somewhat harshly signalling for handball.

Littlejohn sent the spot kick low and left but Alderson made a simple stop while Turner cleared a follow up effort off the line.

Liverpool almost snatched a point three minutes into added time.

A cross from Brusell curled towards the top corner but Alderson changed direction to dive acrobatically and get enough on the ball to tip it over the bar.

The referee blew the final whistle as the resultant corner was cleared, sealing three points for the Belles ahead of their toughest test of the season, the visit of Arsenal on Saturday (2pm).

Entry to the Belles’ clash with Everton at the Keepmoat next Thursday (7.45pm) is free.