Denaby United: Reds recover to claim point against Caribbean

United's Martin Lawton (right). Picture: Andrew Roe
United's Martin Lawton (right). Picture: Andrew Roe

Martin Lawton scored with an exquisite free kick as the Reds came back from 2-0 down to get a point at home to Caribbean Sports.

After a tight opening ten minutes Caribbean’s Matthew Savage saw his headed effort cleared off the line after a corner.

A few minutes later United began to press, Ross Petty fed the ball through to Liam Winfield whose cross was cleared before Winfield also saw his shot fly wide.

Stacy Sharif was creating chances for the visitors, and Caribbean soon had the lead. Rayon Ramsey received the ball in the United penalty area and showed great strength to turn his marker and slot the ball home.

United responded with a rasping shot from Petty which Sports keeper Curtis Wills tipped over the bar, Winfield then found Ainsley Finney but he saw his effort easily blocked and United were behind at half-time.

United went 2-0 down shortly after the restart, a cross from the right was well met by Sharif and his header gave Reds keeper Ben Priestley no chance.

United were jolted into action, Winfield saw a lobbed shot clear both keeper and bar and sub Ben Redfern played in Tony Mullen with his cross being well met by Piaras Hale for a header saved by the keeper.

Leon Stocks looked to have made it three but somehow United got the ball clear, and the clearance proved decisive a minute later as the deficit was halved.

Redfern and Winfield combined to allow Redfern to get in a powerful strike which keeper Wills turned around the post for a corner. From this corner Winfield delivered a low cross into the penalty area which evaded the keeper, before deflecting in off a defender.

United were now into the ascendancy and when Harrison was clattered 30 yards out Lawton stepped up to send a superb free kick over the wall and into the top right corner for United’s goal of the season so far.

United continued to press and had a late penalty shout turned down when Winfield was barged over, but the referee allowed play to continue, and United felt aggrieved to have to settle for a point.