Crowle bucked by Broncos to stay bottom

editorial image

CROWLE United Reserves failed to move off the bottom of the table as they locked horns with Barton Broncos in a lively encounter.

Both the Broncos and United’s reserves have been constant companions over the last three seasons hovering between Divisions Two and Three of the Scunthorpe and District Sunday League with simultaneous promotion and relegation.

Barton beat Crowle at Windsor Park in the first game of 2012 and were again the victors running out 4-2 winners in Sunday’s match.

Not for the first time this season, it was the hosts Crowle who went into the lead when Aaron Taylor scored from a pinpoint Callum Brears cross.

The home side held on to their advantage until the 30th minute when a delivery from Barton’s right wing found an unmarked forward who tapped the ball into the net for the equaliser.

Both outfits failed to double their goal tally as they went into half-time, despite Callum Brears came close on several occasions.

After the interval Barton had the advantage of the slight slope in the pitch and took control following two swift goals by Liam Frank within 15 minutes of the restart.

Despite the setback, Crowle’s largest crowd of the season was enjoying a lively encounter and soon had something to cheer about when substitute Curtis Brears delivered a low cross to the front post where Danny Smyth was able to force the ball past Barton’s keeper.

Five minutes remained when Smyth picked up an injury, however with the referee waving play on, the advantage fell to Curtis Brears who took it round the goalkeeper but shot into the side netting.

Crowle pressed forward in search of an equaliser leaving gaps in their defence and on 90 minutes Barton almost scored when a shot from the left hit both goalposts before being scrambled clear by Sam Thirkell.

Three minutes later a long ball from Barton’s defence found Daniel Blair who fired past Thirkell to give his side a 4-2 victory with almost the last kick of the game.

Crowle will be looking to reverse the result in their next game when Barton return to Windsor Park in the Ireson Cup on January 20.