Champions crowned as season end nears

THE respective champions of the three Mexborough Sunday League divisions have been crowned.

Swinton WMC have won the Premier Division following a 2-0 win over Goldthorpe Comrades.

Ryan Morton drilled home a fine 30–yard effort before Andy Whitehead sealed the victory from the spot.

And Swinton concluded the campaign in emphatic style with a 5-0 mauling of Welfare.

Brett Lovell opened the scoring before two quick efforts from Shaun Wild took Swinton out of sight.

Brady Roberts and Ryan Morton , with a superb 25 yard effort, rounded the scoring off.

Station 2007 signed off their campaign by holding hosts Comrades to a 1-1 draw.

Bolton Social were crowned Division One champions after being ‘handed’ the title by fellow challengers Mexborough Main Street.

Outside issues meant Main Street could not field a side for their final game of the season with Bolton, who automatically picked up the win.

Bolton were in the box seat heading into the final game of the campaign after seeing off Main Street 1-0 in the game prior.

The result left Bolton a point ahead of Main Street before the scheduled second match of their double header.

Ingsfield Lane ensured they had a shot at the title in their final game as they beat Montagu Arms 4-0.

Lane were level on points with Main Street heading into Sunday’s clash with Cromwells but suffered a surprise 5-1 defeat which left them with a fourth placed finish.

Sure to feel hard done by after Sunday’s events are Mexborough Wetherspoons who are guaranteed second place.

Wetherspoons still had a chance at the title if Bolton failed to win their final game but now can only finish a point behind at best.

Wetherspoons put themselves in strong contention to be crowned champions as they swept through their many games in hand.

They saw off local rivals Mexborough Sportsman 4-3 before a 15-0 demolition of struggling Barnburgh Coach and Horses.

The valiant effort continued with a 8-1 mauling of rock –bottom Plough Inn, while on Sunday they were handed an automatic win when hosts Telstar failed to field a side.

George and Dragon saw their promotion hopes effectively ended with a 3-2 defeat to Sportsman.

Dragon remained in contention with a 3-2 win over Cromwells two days earlier, but the loss to Sportsman left them well off the pace.

Montagu Arms were automatic winners after Barnburgh Coach and Horses failed to field a side.

Albert Road sealed the Division Two crown in emphatic style with a 6-1 win over Conisbrough Station.

Jonathan Hudson and Benji Marshall both bagged braces with Luke Parkin and Neil Hardwick also netted while an own goal provided Station’s consolation.

The win was impressive given Albert had lost Ronnie Hitchener to a broken leg 10 minutes into the game.

Albert had a one point advantage over Roman heading into the final game following the latter’s 2-2 draw with The Gate.

Both sides picked up wins prior to this result, with Roman beating Red Lion Wath 3-1 while Albert had seven different scorers in their 7-1 mauling of former title contenders Cross Keys.

And on the final day, Roman did the best they could with a 3-1 win over Mexborough Miners Arms but Albert’s win ensured they had to be content with the runners-up spot.

A Glyn Geilhardt hat trick helped Miners Arms to a 6-0 win at Boy and Barrel with Holland netting twice and David Siddons also on target.

Horsley was also a hat trick hero to give Stone House a 6-1 win over Mexborough Main Street Reserves. Clark added a brace with Dring also scoring.

Stone House closed in similar free scoring fashion with a 6-3 win over Cross Keys while The Gate saw off Ivanhoe 4-2. Goals from Nathan Clarke, Jason Warren, Craig Anglesea and a first of the season for Lucas Briggs saw The Gate run out deserved winners in a tense, hard fought battle.