Beadling stars in derby thriller

Peter Brooks Honda Mexborough and District Sunday Football League

WESTVILLE goalkeeper Jody Beadling saved two penalties and set up a goal in 90 thrilling seconds as his side saw off fierce local rivals Queens United 4-2.

The match was played on a very heavy pitch with referee Colin Parker considering calling off the clash on several occasions and pulling a calf muscle early in the tie.

Craig Jackson gave Westville the lead before the break but Queens hit back just after half -time.

The came the frantic minute and a half with Beadling at the centre of the action.

Queens were awarded a penalty which he parried across the edge of the box where it was collected by a Queens forward who was then felled for another penalty.

Beadling was again the hero as he held onto the second spot kick before launching the ball down the field with Kieran Hirst collecting and finishing.

Queens grabbed the equaliser and sparked an end -to -end contest.

But Jamie Williams and Nicky Harper struck for Westville to seal the win.

Leaders Swinton WMC moved clear at the top of the table with a 2-1 win over Goldthorpe Comrades.

MEXBOROUGH Main Street continued their promotion chase with a 5-1 win over Telstar.

Nathan Lovell scored twice with Jeeves, Phillips and Loughnane also on target for Main who sit in second, 10 points behind leaders Ingsfield Lane with four games in hand.

Ingsfield maintained their lead at the top with a 3-1 win over Plough Inn.

George and Dragon remain in strong contention for a promotion place after a 5-2 win at Cromwells while Barnburgh Coach and Horses edged out Mexborough Sportsman 3-2.

CONISBROUGH Station picked up their third consecutive win as they saw off Mexborough Miners Arms 5-1.

Station broke a six match run of defeats three weeks ago and have sinced surged into a comfortable midtable position.

A Chris Hargrave hat -trick plus strikes from Lewis Deaks and Pete Henshaw sealed the win.

Roman and Albert Road both saw their title aspirations suffered as they battled out a 1-1 draw.

Albert went a goal ahead and played much of the positive football.

But Roman were resolute despite injury worries and equalised through the prolific Russ Hanman.

Red Lion Wath were so close to grabbing their first win of the season but were edged out in a seven goal thriller with Mexborough Main Street Reserves.

MEXBOROUGH Weatherspoons fired their way into the final of the Peter Brooks Honda Cup with a 4-2 win over The Gate.

Braces from Matthew Brackley and Michael Harris sent Weatherspoons through to a decider with either Montagu Arms or Ingsfield Lane who meet on Sunday.

STATION 2007 rocketed into the final of the George Jowett Trophy with a 6-1 mauling of Cafe Sport.