Barnsley 2 Fulham 4

editorial image

Ten-man Barnsley were sent tumbling to a fourth defeat in five Championship games, this time against Fulham.

The Reds had led twice in the first period, but saw Josh Scowen red-carded in the second period as his team capitulated in the sunshine.

He will now be suspended for what looks like a daunting prospect as Newcastle are next at Oakwell on Tuesday.

A cracking first half at Oakwell ended with the teams sharing four goals.

The Reds got themselves off to a dream start with the two recalled players - Sam Morsy and Marley Watkins - combining to score after four minutes.

Morsy - in for the injured Conor Hourihane - threaded the ball through to Watkins, who slammed home past ex-Reds’ ‘keeper David Button from 15 yards.

The Cottagers soon clawed their way back into the game and eventually levelled after 37 minutes when Scott Malone dragged a cross back to Lucas Piazon, and he fired home over Adam Davies.

The Reds went back in front four minutes later when Morsy was again the provider - this time for Sam Winnall who beat Button from just inside the box.

Back came the visitors, though, and they equalised a minute later when Sone Aluko converted another Malone cross.

A Malone cross sailed over Adam Davies and into the Reds’ goal just 35 seconds after the restart, and now Paul Heckingbottom’s found themselves behind in a true see-saw encounter.

They came close to making it 3-3 when Winnall glanced a header inches wide of the far post.

However, it was Fulham who scored next in the 65th minute when lone striker Chris Martin powerfully headed home yet another Malone cross.

The hosts’ cause was further hindered two minutes later when Josh Scowen was shown a straight red card following a lunging tackle on former England midfielder Scott Parker.

Fulham could have scored more goals late in the game, only for Martin, Aluko and Malone to fluff great chances.

Barnsley (4-4-2): Davies; Yiadom, MacDonald, Roberts, Kpekawa; Hammill, Scowen, Morsy (Bree, 79), Kent; Winnall (Bradshaw, 71), Watkins (Armstrong, 71).Subs not used: Townsend, Jackson, Bird, Lee.

Fulham (4-2-3-1): Button; Odoi, Ream, Sigurdsson, Malone; Parker, Cairney (Kebano, 84); Johansen (Tunnicliffe, 70), Aluko, Piazon; Martin (Smith, 90).Subs not used: Bettinelli, Fredericks, Madl, Sessegnon.

Referee: Keith Stroud (Hampshire).