Axholme tame the Lions with goal rush

Axholme Raiders 5,

Westcliffe Lions 1

AXHOLME Raiders played host to the Westcliffe Lions at Westwoodside on Sunday.

After a good result last week the Raiders were hoping to continue their good form against the Lions.

The game started with both teams creating some early chances but nothing clear-cut. Cuthbert was the first Raiders player to fire towards goal after Smith laid on a Burr throw in, but his shot flew just over. Both teams struggled to find their passing game in the early stages, but the Lions were the first to make the break through. A harsh penalty was awarded to the Lions which they put away giving Whiteley no chance. The Raiders responded well and were soon on level terms, some good link up play between Hazel and Young created the chance for Smith, his shot was saved but the loose ball fell back into the path of Hazel who hammered the ball home for the equaliser to make a half time score of 1-1.

Early in the second half the home team took the lead, Hicken made a great solo run followed by a thunderous shot, only to see it come back out off the underside of the bar, quickest to react was Vernon who followed up the loose ball to make it 2-1. The Lions weren’t giving up yet, and pushed forward to try and level things up, a finger tip save by Whiteley was the save of the game and fullbacks Hobson and Young were made to work hard by the Lions wingers, but good concentration and strong tackling kept their opponents at bay.

The lead was extended by centre half Harvey, after a free kick by Hicken was floated in to the box for him to head home his second goal in as many weeks. At 3-1 the Lions boys heads were starting to go down and the game seemed to be there for the taking. Tuplin had come on and was showing good skill down the right side, his efforts were rewarded with a corner which Hazel took, his corner flew straight into the far side of the goal to make it 4-1. The Raiders were finishing strongly and were to score one more before the final whistle, a run through the middle by Andrews left the Lions defence static but his shot was well saved by the keeper but the ball only fell to Hazel who finished off with a left foot drive into the empty net to make a final score of 5-1 and a Hazel hat trick.

Raiders man of the match was Matty Hicken.