Dewsbury 24 Doncaster 8: Cooke’s road-weary charges beaten by bogey team

Dewsbury's Tom Hemmingway and Scott Hale hold up Doncaster's Liam Watts
Dewsbury's Tom Hemmingway and Scott Hale hold up Doncaster's Liam Watts

Doncaster failed to lay their bogey to rest as Dewsbury handed them a fifth successive defeat in their Championship clash at the Tetley’s Stadium.

Despite an error-strewn display, the Dons looked set to claim a losing bonus point until Dewsbury’s man-of-the-match, Anthony Thackeray went over for a 75th minute try.

It was the Dons fourth successive away game and there were clear signs it had taken its toll in a performance which fell well short of their display in the draw at Featherstone.

The Dons had highly-rated Hull FC half-back Jacob Miller on debut as part of the dual-registration agreement between the two clubs, but on the day he and player-coach were second best to the Dewsbury half-back pairing who scored three tries between them.

The Dons looked to have taken fifth-minute lead when winger Nev Morrison touched down in the corner after second-rower Liam Colbon had broken clear down the right before drawing the last line of defence.

The home side hit back strongly and playing with a fluency the Dons struggled to match for most of the game went close on 17 minutes - full-back Dave Scott getting a hand to a try-scoring pass.

The Dons broke the deadlock with a Scott penalty when play resumed following a long break while Russ Spiers received treatment before being stretchered off following a late tackle.

Dewsbury hit back to claim a 4-2 lead with a superb long-range individual try by Thackeray, who defied Scott’s efforts to score in the corner,

The home side doubled their lead in the 13th minute of stoppage time, half-back Kyle Briggs dummying his way over from the last scrum of the half.

The home side increased their lead to 14-2 within six minutes of the restart, centre Callum Beckett forcing his way over from acting half-back for a converted try.

The Dons, who were not helping their cause with numerous handling errors and fell further behind on 55 minutes with a converted try by Shane Grady.

Dewsbury were reduced to 12 men on 58 minutes when second-rower Rob Spicer was sin-binned for a late tackle and they would have suffered another blow had Mike Kelly not dropped the ball over the line.

It merely proved a stay of execution, however, Liam Watts touched down from close range for a 62nd minute try goaled by Scott.