Wath winger Brett Small ran in four tries as Wath sealed the Yorkshire Three title. Picture: Neil License
Wath winger Brett Small ran in four tries as Wath sealed the Yorkshire Three title. Picture: Neil License

WATH sealed the Yorkshire Three championship and passed the 1000 point mark for the season with a comprehensive 86-3 win over struggling Old Otliensians.

But all involved with the club remain determined to maintain the 100 per cent record in the remaining four games and progress to the later stages of the Yorkshire Silver Trophy.

The Silver Trophy hunt takes them to Thornensians on Tuesday evening after a free weekend.

Wath came out firing for the clash overwhelmed Otliensians with a powerful scrum.

Matthew Burrows crashed over the first with winger Ashley Rothery kicking the first of eight conversions.

Brett Small capitalised on a fortunate bounce from a well weighted Martyn Bray kick to outstrip the defence and touch down.

Small added another almost straight away, catching Josh Bird’s high kick before showing his pace once again to score.

The winger took the man of the match award due to his constant threat.

Burrows grabbed a second after the Wath pack forced Otliensians back onto their own line and the number eight crashed over.

Great hands from Bird, Adam West and Andy Hopkin sound Joe Earp to cap a remarkable team try.

A fine break from full back West saw him feed Steve Mason who charged over from half way.

The tries continued to come with Bird sent through by fine approach play from Burrows and Earp while centre Hopkin timed his run perfectly to collect and go over.

Ashley Rothery capped the half after latching onto a superb pass from fly half Bray.

Otliensians came out strong for the second half and pressed in the early stages.

But Wath scored early when Earp collected a kick, weaved past several tackles and powered through the defending full back.

Further scores followed with Small sealing his hat trick after great hands through the team before adding a fourth from another powerful scrum.

Bray broke clear in midfield and offloaded to Hopkin who charged through the gap to go over.

And Mason added another long range effort for the final try.

Wath’s title win was confirmed as third placed Goole lost 25-23 to Rotherham Phoenix despite leading by 13 points at the break.

The Development XV saw off fellow promotion chasers Cleckheaton Seconds with a 15-10 win despite playing with 13 men for 10 minutes to maintain their place at the top of Merit League Two and stay on course for a second successive promotion.

*BARNSLEY beat local rivals Doncaster Phoenix 33-17 at Castle Park to stay third in Yorkshire Two

Four penalties and three conversions from Patrick Jensen proved key for Barnsley.