Washer goes up in flames in Doncaster house

editorial image

A man escaped from a Doncaster house without injury after a kitchen fire last night.

Doncaster fire crews were called to Royal Avenue, Wheatley, around 10.15pm when the washing machine caught fire.

The fire was out on arrival and the sole occupant of the terraced property did not suffer any harm, said a fire service spokesman.

There was some smoke damage to the kitchen.

A fire in the cellar of a terraced house on Balby Road, Balby, around 8pm is believed to have been started deliberately.

The property is unoccupied and electrical engineers were called to make the meter safe.