South Yorkshire Police are continuing to investigate a report that three ‘devices’ have been planted in Doncaster.
Detectives are following a number of lines of enquiry including working through CCTV footage to try and identify the man who made the call at around 4.30pm yesterday (Thursday 16 March).
The man stated that three ‘devices’ would go off in Doncaster town centre between 8pm and midnight. No specific locations or details about the devices were given.
A number of searches were carried out in partnership with key organisations across Doncaster but no devices were found.
The bomb hoax was received by a journalist at The Star’s head office in Sheffield just before 4.30pm.
A man, speaking with a Scottish accent told the reporter three bombs had been planted in Doncaster town centre and would be detonated between 8pm and 12pm last night.
Asked how he knew about the bombs, the man replied ‘because we have planted them’.
The reporter immediately contacted South Yorkshire Police and is assisting detectives with their enquiries. One location mentioned was Doncaster bus station.
There was no additional information to suggest that anyone was at risk and the call is being treated as a hoax.
DCI Chris Singleton, investigating, said: “Hoax calls of this nature take up a large amount of police and partner resources which could put other people’s lives at risk.
“This man, who we believe was working alone, has caused significant and unnecessary worry to members of the public which we will not tolerate.
“Individuals who waste police time will be prosecuted and we urge anyone who may have information about the caller to get in touch.”
Anyone with information should contact 101 quoting incident 749 of April 16 2015.