Police named a Conisbrough man stabbed six times after confronting a youth attempting to steal his car.

Investigations continue into the incident in which Dearne Valley Leisure Centre swimming club's head coach, Hans Hindle, 66, was punched and stabbed with a knife after drinking at the Lonsdale Hotel in Intake, Doncaster, on March 25.

Mr Hindle, a well-known swimming coach in Denaby for many years, left the pub at around 11.10pm and was walking towards his Mercedes - left in an adjoining car park - when he spotted a youth in the driver's seat.

A fight then broke out which saw Mr Hindle stabbed in the chest, neck, back and face.

Mr Hindle, a father of two and grandfather of three, was later admitted to Doncaster Royal Infirmary in a stable condition but released days later.

However, on April 10, Mr Hindle returned to the hospital after suffering intense pain from his wounds.

The offender, captured on CCTV footage, is described as 6ft tall and wearing jeans, a denim-type top and trainers.

He ran away across Sandringham Road towards Leicester Avenue.

Police, who have carried out a forensic examination on the victim's car and the pub car park, would like to hear from the driver of a white van seen travelling towards Intake or anyone who saw the incident. Contact Doncaster CID.THE wife of a Birdwell milkman murdered on his way to work on Saturday morning has vowed not to rest until her husband's attackers are found.

Ronnie Kettridge, 56, of Worsbrough Road, was found stabbed to death on Prince of Wales Road in Sheffield, shortly after 3am. He had been on his way to work at Co-op Dairies.

Pauline Kettridge, who he married five weeks earlier, said: "He was a family man, a man in a million and I'm so proud to have been married to him.

"What right do these hooligans have to take my husband?

"Ronnie turned my life around and I'll keep fighting until they're flushed out."

Two weeks earlier the couple had returned home from honeymoon.

Ronnie, who has two daughters Adele, 21, and Rachel, 24, and three granddaughters, had worked as a milkman for 40 years and had switched to the Manor route five months ago.

"I knew he had several problems at work," said Pauline. "Youths used to take his float and throw milk, and then they run in front of the wagon.

"He said he was becoming very unhappy and I think he was getting a bit scared of his job."

The dairy rang Pauline at 3.50am to ask if Ronnie had left for work.

She tried him on his mobile, rang friends and relatives but couldn't find her husband.

"I was in a frenzy. The police turned up and told me they'd found a body. At that time I thought he'd had a heart attack because I knew he'd been under a lot of stress. They told me it was murder and I went to pieces."

Police revealed on Tuesday they had gained significant clues. Two houses in the Abbeydale Road area were searched, no arrests were made, but police seized items.

Two witnesses, believed to have stopped at the scene and given or offered assistance to Ronnie Kettridge, have contacted the police after a media appeal.

They were due to be interviewd by police on April 10.

Police do not know of any motive and believe Ronnie may have stopped to help a woman.

Witnesses are asked to contact Moss Way CID on 0114 2202020.