Sheffield Tigers run riot in 11th win on trot but Sheffield RUFC lose top spot with narrow defeat

Henri Packard of Sheffield Tigers rolls roll overfor a try against Lymm. More pictures in Grass Roots on Friday. Photo: Ian Anderson
Henri Packard of Sheffield Tigers rolls roll overfor a try against Lymm. More pictures in Grass Roots on Friday. Photo: Ian Anderson

Sheffield Tigers racked up their 11th win on the bounce with an impressive 61-15 defeat of Lymm in National Three North.

Henry Packard got the home side off the mark on 14 minutes and although the opening stages were a little cagey with Lymm replying through a penalty, Tigers soon took control.

Just after the half hour Adam Shaw scored a quick-fire brace with Tom Outram adding extras to one. There was time for one more try before the break, Jonathan Buchanan crashing over for Outram to convert.

The second half was one-way traffic and Mark Ireland bagged two tries and Packard also went on to score a second. Liam Wallace and Josh Redfern also scored.

Sheffield lost top spot in North One East after losing a low-scoring game against Percy Park, who defended resolutely with Sheffield unable to unlock their guard.

The home side opened the scoring, fly half Ashley Smith kicking a penalty on 15 minutes.

Sheffield responded on 32 minutes with Alex Fawdry scrambling over to score the only try of the game. But Smith struck again and his penalty on 35 minutes saw Percy Park go into the break 6-5 up.

Andy Hodgson saw Sheffield briefly take the lead on 73 minutes but Smith’s third penalty of the game with two minutes remaining was enough to secure victory for his side.

Dinnington, held to a 20-20 draw on their rivals’ ground earlier in the season, took control in the second half to score a 41-12 victory over Wheatley Hills in their North One East clash at Lodge Lane.

A try by winger Jayden Kohika was Dinnington’s only score of the first half, when Wheatley failed to use the wind to their advantage to turn round just 7-5 ahead, but the home side upped their game after the restart with two tries on the bounce by full-back Tyle Stimpson and others from No 8 Will Marshall, prop Anthony Ross and flanker Ryan Donnelly.

In Yorkshire One, Wath on Dearne – already doomed to relegation - got off to a promising start but had to settle for a losing bonus in their 22-17 defeat at home to Old Brodleians.

Wath went ahead with early tries by prop Simon Butterworth and No 8 Jason Wignell, the latter converted by Tom Quinn, and they scored again just before half time through scrum-half Joe Bartlett.

Barnsley were forced to settle for a draw in their Yorkshire Two game against Knottingley, conceding a try right at the end of the match.

After falling behind to a Paul Rockett try, Barnsley came back through Geoffrey Watt and Will Smith to lead 12-7. But Eaves broke through to tie the scores for the visitors with the clock running down.

Stocksbridge came through a scrappy game to emerge with a 12-10 win over Harrogate Pythons in Yorkshire Three. Veteran number eight Nigel Dowkes and captain Rhys Keenan scored Stocksbridge’s tries with Scott Bowskill adding the rest of the points with a conversion.

Sheffield Medicals were 52-24 winners over Moortown in Yorkshire Two, Sheffield Oaks beat Ossett 16-6 and Mosborough lost 17-33, both in Yorkshire Four, and Rotherham Clifton beat Yorkshire Five rivals Hallamshire 29-8.

* Picture special on Tigers win in Ruth Dacey’s column in Grass Roots on Friday.