The 2005 shooting of one of the Rotherham child abuse trial defendants was ‘karma’, one of his alleged victims has said.
Girl D, one of the alleged victims of Arshid Hussain, told Sheffield Crown Court she had been pleased to hear he had been shot.
It came as the jury was told for the first time earlier in the day’s hearing that Hussain had been left disabled after being shot in the abdomen in 2005.
In video evidence played to Sheffield Crown Court, the now 32-year-old woman who alleges she was sexually abused by Hussain from the age of 14 in the 1990s and then sold for sex to other men by him, said: “I’m glad he got shot, I really am.
“I know it is a bad thing to say but things happen for a reason.
“Is it called karma? What goes around, comes around.”
The woman said her abuse at the hands of Hussain had been ‘horrible, awful, disgusting’.
Earlier in the day’s hearing, Judge Sarah Wright lifted a reporting restriction that had previously prevented the press stating Hussain has been absent from the start of the trial in December for health reasons.
It can now be reported that on Monday, Hussain appeared in court for the first time via video link from bed in his home in Goole to hear evidence against him.
After the jury asked for more information about his medical condition on Tuesday, Tahir Khan QC, representing Hussain, provided an explanation in open court.
He said: “In 2005, Mr Hussain was shot in the abdomen, his spinal cord was damaged and since then he has been a paraplegic.
“His spleen was also ruptured and later removed.
“The base of his left lung was also damaged.
“He has been wheelchair-bound since then and for the last two years or so has been completely bed-ridden and struggles to sit up for more than ten minutes at a time.”
Mr Khan said his client has developed ‘deep bed sores’ in the last few years, with attempts to close the wounds with skin grafts failing.
He said Hussain takes a number of different painkillers that affect his ability to concentrate and stay awake.
Hussain, aged 40, of High Street, East Cowick, Goole, denies one count of conspiracy to rape, 11 indecent assaults, five rapes, one other serious sexual assault, one count of procuring a girl under 21 to have unlawful sex with another, one count of false imprisonment, two counts of procuring a woman under 21 to become a common prostitute, one count of attempting to procure a girl under 21 to have unlawful sexual intercourse, two counts of abducting a 15-year-old girl, one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, two counts of aiding and abetting rape and one of aiding and abetting another serious sexual assault.
The trial of Hussain and six other defendants continues.