North Lincolnshire Council is urging visitors and dog walkers to be extremely careful when they visit the Blue Lagoon Nature Reserve after blue green algae has been discovered in the pond, which could be toxic.
Many of the paths at the Blue Lagoon near Normanby Road, Scunthorpe run close to the waters’ edge so it is important that people and animals don’t come into contact with the water.
The blue green algae was first noticed in mid-January by the council’s environment team. This was reported to the Environment Agency that identified it as blue green algae.
Blue green algae can increase in water that is nutrient-rich causing algal blooms. These blooms can produce toxins, which can kill wild animals, farm livestock and domestic pets. In humans, it can cause rashes after skin contact and illnesses if swallowed.
Everyone is being advised to stay away from the water and keep pets, such as dogs out of the water.
Signs have been put up around the site to warn people about the dangers.
Councillor Neil Poole, cabinet member for Neighbourhoods, said: “As soon as we noticed the blue green material on the pond we contacted the Environment Agency and they identified it as blue green algae. We have taken appropriate action to ensure that visitors to the site are aware they shouldn’t have any contact with the water and should keep animals away.
“Not all blue green algae blooms and scums are toxic, but you cannot tell by just looking at them – it is best to assume they are. We would rather be safe than sorry. It isn’t worth the risk.
“We’re urging all visitors to the Blue Lagoon Nature Reserve to take extra care around the pond. We will continue to monitor the site.”