Parents pay tribute to “little angel” who died in Conisbrough house fire

Libby-Jayne Hornsby, who has tragically died following a house fire in Conisbrough.
Libby-Jayne Hornsby, who has tragically died following a house fire in Conisbrough.

The parents of a two-year-old girl who died in a house fire in Doncaster have paid tribute to their daughter.

Libby-Jayne Hornsby died in the fire at the property in Don Street, Conisbrough, on Thursday evening.

Her mother, Kelly Hambrey, has released a statement.

She said: “Libby-Jayne was a perfect little girl, always smiling and happy. She was loved by all of her family, her mum, brother, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.

“She was our world. As a family we want to thank our friends and neighbours for their support at this time.

“We ask as a family to be left alone at this time as we try and cope with our loss.”

Libby-Jayne’s father, Neil Hornsby, said his daughter would be sadly missed.

He said: “She was always full of life and fun, with bright hair and bright eyes.

“Before Libby was born I felt something was missing in my life and after she was born I knew that I had found what was missing, it was Libby. My life with Libby was brilliant, but now there is something missing again.

“I have been told of the bravery of the police and fire service who tried to rescue my daughter and I want to thank them sincerely from the bottom of my heart for their efforts.

“I ask at this time that my family and I be left to grieve and try to come to terms with this terrible loss.”

Fire crews from Edlington and Dearne stations were called to the property at 7.45pm on Thursday. They entered the property wearing breathing apparatus and located the fire in an upstairs bedroom.

Fire chiefs said the blaze involved bedding - and that there was no smoke alarm fitted at the house. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

Heartbroken friends and neighbours left bouquets in the street for a ‘lovely little girl’ who they said was always smiling and waving.

Neighbours said a young teenager was believed to have been babysitting Libby-Jayne at the time of the fire, while mum Kelly was out.

One neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said: “There was a young boy outside the house screaming, I don’t know what he was saying but he was screaming.

“The mum arrived home about 20 minutes after Libby had been taken away in an ambulance, and she was obviously distraught.”