Toddlers Screams as Isle of Axholme man attacked

COURT: Court Case
COURT: Court Case

An Owston Ferry man took the law into his own hands when he assaulted a dad at his home in front of his family.

Magistrates found Tony Bennett guilty of common assault after attacking Jordan Batty at his home then on North Street.

The 29-year-old was charged with carrying out the April 19 attack that occurred after Mr Batty was cautioned by police for assaulting a teen, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, on the same day.

The court heard Bennett, of North Street, arrived at Mr Batty’s house at 4pm on the Friday with his brother and stepfather.

Mr Batty said Bennett banged on his door and, when he answered, Bennett pushed his way into the house .

He then subjected him to an onslaught of punches and kicks to the body.

He told how he sustained bruising to his head and had curled up in a ball to prevent further injury.

Bennett’s brother John Bennett and his stepfather Peter Davis, also of North Street, got out of the car and followed him into the house.

The attack stopped when Mr Batty’s two toddlers started screaming and the men left.

Giving evidence last week, Mr Batty said: “I’m no super hero. I wanted it to be over and done quickly. It was very upsetting.

“I just wanted to comfort my children. My two-year-old son was screaming ‘Daddy!’”

The accused contradicted Mr Batty’s account of events, claiming he had gone to the house to seek information after Mr Batty had received a police caution for attacking a teenager hours earlier on a school trip.

Bennett said when he arrived, he had been punched first by Mr Batty when he answered the door, and had lost his balance and fell into the hallway.

He claimed there had been a scuffle and he had defended himself.

The court heard Tony Bennett had been frustrated by what he saw as a lack of information from police about the earlier incident and was concerned Mr Batty had not been arrested for the attack on the teenager.

Epworth Police had told him to observe a “cooling off” period while they dealt with the matter, but he ignored their advice.

Finding the accused guilty of assault, Scunthorpe magistrates’ chairman Paul Shaw said: “We feel Mr Bennett took it upon himself to orchestrate an assault on Mr Batty in front of his children.

“We do not agree he was defending himself.”

Bennett was ordered to carry out 100 hours’ unpaid work and was fined £685 with £60 victim surcharge.