Match report: Doncaster Rovers 1 Millwall 1

Richard Chaplow scored against his former club to earn Rovers a more than deserved point against on-form Millwall and finally stop the rot.

By The Newsroom
Saturday, 27 February, 2016, 15:54
Rovers players congratulate Richard Chaplow on his equaliser

Chaplow had received plenty of abuse from the 800 strong visiting support but fired back in the best possible fashion to equalise after Steve Morison had given Millwall an early lead.

The point - while doing little to ease Rovers' relegation fears - ended a run of four consecutive defeats for Darren Ferguson's men.

But it was the performance that was arguably the most important take away from the game as Rovers showed composure and persistence which has been all too absent from recent performances.

Millwall dominated possession in the first few minutes and made it count on six minutes.

Paul Keegan scuffed a header back towards his own goal from Jordan Archer's goal kick allowing Morison to race clear and lob Thorsten Stuckmann with a sublime finish.

Rovers' first real attempt on goal did not come until the 16th minute when Keegan curled over the bar from a free kick 20 yards out.

Cedric Evina cannot escape the attention of Millwall's Ben Thompson

But they began to take control of the ball with Millwall lacking their early intensity. Rovers maintained patience in their play, building up steadily.

Nathan Tyson curled a header just wide from a Mitchell Lund cross and Conor Grant twice went close with low strikes from outside the area.

Millwall showed only flashes of threat as the half wore on. Lee Gregory overpowered Luke McCullough at the byline and drilled on goal, forcing Stuckmann into a save.

And Rovers grabbed a deserved equaliser eight minutes from the break. Andy Williams dribbled to the byline and cut back for Chaplow who slammed in from close range.

Steve Morison is congratulated after giving Millwall an early lead

The momentum was firmly with Rovers as half time approached. And Chaplow almost gave them the lead. After sending Lund clear down the right, Chaplow received the ball back 15 yards out and drilled a shot which Archer palmed away.

Millwall really should have been back in front early in the second half. Gregory flashed a ball across the face of goal which Morison somehow failed to connect with at the far post.

Chaplow was lucky to escape with only a yellow card after a late challenge on Byron Webster and several incident flared up soon after.

The game began to even out somewhat as the half wore on and both sides had chances to go in front.

Richard Chaplow roars with delight as he turns in Rovers' equaliser

The ball fell kindly for Gregory ten yards out but he scuffed a shot straight at Stuckmann.

And at the other end, Gooch looped a header just wide after Lund flicked on Grant's corner.

Rovers could hardly have wished for a better chance to take a late lead when Tyson robbed the ball from Mark Beevers eight yards out but saw his shot well saved by Archer.

The game finished at a breathless pace and a diving header from Webster from a corner saw the visitors go close with four minutes to go.

Grant almost grabbed the winner with mere seconds of added time to go when he got clear and fired low on the angle, only for Archer to tip away.

Ultimately, neither side could break the deadlock but Rovers will be delighted to got themselves somewhat back on track.

Cedric Evina cannot escape the attention of Millwall's Ben Thompson

Rovers: Stuckmann, Lund, Alcock, McCullough, Taylor-Sinclair, Evina, Chaplow, Keegan (Middleton 52), Grant, Williams (Gooch 60), Tyson. Subs not used: Marosi, Butler, Coppinger, Stewart, Mandeville.

Millwall: Archer, Romeo, Webster, Beevers, Martin, Wallace (Onyedinma 89), Abdou, Thompson, Ferguson (O'Brien 76), Gregory, Morison. Subs not used: Forde, Williams, Nelson, Philpot, Mbulu.

Subs: Carl Boyeson (East Yorkshire)

Attendance: 6,810 (825 away)

Steve Morison is congratulated after giving Millwall an early lead