“Hospital failed my mum”

Gladys Benton, who tragically died after contracting C-Diff in hospital.
Gladys Benton, who tragically died after contracting C-Diff in hospital.

The grieving family of a pensioner are demanding answers after claiming a ‘do not resuscitate order’ was put on her file without their consent.

The family of 96-year-old Gladys Benton, who died on March 26, say the error was the last in a long line of problems concerning her care over the last 10 months of her life.

Daughter Patricia Corden of Armthorpe said her mother was independent and in good health before breaking her leg and being admitted to Doncaster Royal Infirmary 10 months ago.

During her time in hospital Mrs Corden says her mother contracted superbug C.Difficile and was moved to several wards, which they now believe caused the bug to spread in the hospital.

Mrs Corden said after contracting the superbug her mother’s weight plummeted from 11 stone 3lbs to 5 stone and her mother’s ears turned black after an oxygen mask was put on incorrectly.

She said: “Before she went into hospital she was really independent and very good for her age. She even managed a long haul flight to America.

“Prior to her fall mother had been in hospital three times and was only taking two tablets a day.

“In 10 months mother was in hospital eight times, in two nursing homes and her weight had dropped from 11 stone 3 to 5 stone. I feel like the hospital failed her.
“I used to have sit and feed her because if she said she wasn’t hungry the nurses didn’t try and persuade her to eat.

“It was only when after her death that I found out about the ‘do not resuscitate’ on her file, I’m angry because we didn’t agree to this.”

A spokesman for Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust said: “We offer our deepest sympathies to Mrs Corden and her family. We are carrying out a full investigation into the care we provided to Mrs Benton and will share our findings with Mrs Corden so she receives a full, open and transparent response. If Mrs Corden wishes to do so, we would also be very willing to meet with her.”