Elderly couple flee burning Sheffield home

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue.
South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue.

An elderly couple had to flee their burning home last night.

Firefighters said a problem with the dishwasher sparked a blaze at the property in Handsworth at about 10.30pm last night.

READ MORE: Thieves steal broken-down motorbike from Sheffield street
READ MORE: Full list of motorway closures across Yorkshire over the next week
An elderly couple managed to flee the property uninjured.

READ MORE: PICTURED: Car crashes into Sheffield café
Crews from Sheffield Central and Parkway stations spent about an hour tackling the blaze, which caused fire and smoke damage to part of the property.