Doncaster spin class evacuated after exercise bike catches fire

Doncaster Dome.
Doncaster Dome.

People participating in a spin class at a Doncaster leisure facility were evacuated this morning - after one of the exercise bikes being used caught light.

The fire, which broke out during a class held at The Dome today (Wednesday, September 9) is believed to have been caused by a fault with the internal fan inside the affected exercise bike.

A spokesman for the Doncaster Culture and Leisure Trust told the Free Press: “We can confirm that a fan sparked today during an exercise class and as a result people were evacuated as is our policy in case a fire started.

They continued: “The Duty Manager was informed immediately and the incident was over within minutes.

“No one was hurt.”