Doncaster couple escape house fire

South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service.
South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service.

An elderly couple were affected by smoke when fire broke out in their Wheatley, Doncaster, home last night.

A defective dehumidifier in the kitchen of the semi-detached house in Norwich Road is thought to have started the fire around 8pm.

It ignited some nearby clothing but the husband, in his 70s, smelled smoke and got himself and his wife out of the house before Doncaster fire crews arrived.

The couple were checked over by paramedics for smoke inhalation and advised to attend hospital.

The house suffered smoke damage throughout but the flames were contained to the kitchen.