Doncaster care home residents rescued from blaze

Oldfield House, Stainforth. Picture: Tony Saxton
Oldfield House, Stainforth. Picture: Tony Saxton

Four elderly residents were hurt after fire broke out at a Doncaster care home.

The quartet needed hospital treatment for smoke inhalation after being rescued from yesterday’s blaze at Oldfield House, Stainforth.

A further 29 residents were checked over by paramedics after being evacuated from the home at about 2am.

A spokeswoman for South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue service said: “We contained the fire in the annexe area of the building.

“A Doncaster Council response team was on site providing invaluable support.

“Four residents were initially taken to hospital requiring treatment for smoke inhalation.

The remaining 29 residents were checked by paramedics on the scene. There were no serious injuries.”

Six fire engines from Doncaster, Thorne, Adwick and Humberside attended, and firefighters worked quickly to bring the fire under control.

Six ambulances also attended as a precaution.

A spokesman for Doncaster Council, which runs the home, said its emergency response team and care home staff, working closely with its multi-agency partners, acted quickly to support residents.

Mayor of Doncaster, Ros Jones, members of her cabinet and local ward members visited residents and care home staff yesterday.

Mrs Jones said: “The safety of residents and care home staff is always of paramount importance during incidents of this nature.

“I would like to pay tribute to the council response team, the care home staff and all the emergency support agencies who worked together to respond quickly and provide vital support to everyone who needed it.”

Following precautionary checks, three of the four residents who were taken to hospital were returned to the home the same morning. The fourth was expected to join them later.

The purpose-built home provides personal and social care for dementia sufferers as well as beds for the elderly and respite care.

An investigation into the cause of the fire, which is believed to have started in a bathroom, is ongoing. However, it is thought to have started accidentally.