VIDEO: Doncaster Rovers fan is stabbed in face

A Doncaster Rovers fan was left with serious facial injuries after he was stabbed in the face with a bottle during a running battle on a railway station platform, a court heard.

Ashley Allen, aged 20, was one of 15 defendants to appear before a judge at Nottingham Crown Court in connection with the brawl.

NEWS: News.

NEWS: News.

The violence broke out last April when Doncaster Rovers won the League One championship in a dramatic finale against Brentford in London.

Allen admitted a public order offence but his injuries helped persuade the judge to give him an 18-month conditional discharge, rather than send him to jail.

The men all pleaded guilty to affray and public order offences at Newark Northgate station following a Nottingham Forest away fixture at Millwall and Rovers’ title-winning game at Brentford.

The court heard Nottingham Forest supporter Jamie Johnson became involved in a verbal altercation with a Doncaster fan on a train before it left Kings Cross station.

After being threatened on the train he phoned a friend in Newark, claiming he was in fear for his safety.

Six Forest supporters turned up on the platform at Newark to meet the train and as it pulled into the station they began banging on the window.

The court heard Forest fans on the train merged with the men on the platform and there were verbal exchanges with the Rovers fans, before fighting broke out on the train.

It spilled onto the platform causing passengers and rail staff to fear for their safety.

Punches, kicks and glass bottles were thrown while both groups exchanged abusive threats.

Allen, of Pagnell Avenue, Thurnscoe, Barnsley, put his head through an open train window and was stabbed in the face with a broken glass bottle.

A rail worker was also assaulted and threatened with being pushed under the train.

British Transport Police Detective Inspector Glen Alderson said: “This was a terrifying ordeal for the passengers and staff who were at the station and on the train at the time of the incident. 
“They were left fearing for their safety and understandably shaken and traumatised by the incident.

“We simply do not tolerate this type of violent and barbaric behaviour. 
“I hope that being banned from the club, along with the sentences handed down serves as a stark reminder that football related disorder on the rail network is utterly unacceptable and will seek the maximum penalties for anyone involved.”

Jordan Whitnall, aged 19, of Queen Street, Thorne; Graham Howarth, 43, of Springcroft Drive, Scawthorpe; and Nigel Barnes, 42, of Clevedon Crescent, Scawthorpe, were each given four months jail, suspended for 18 months, 140 hours of unpaid community work and told to pay £400 costs.

Andrew Toyne, aged 23, of Ashton Drive, Kirk Sandall; Mark Redfearn, 42, of Elm Place, Armthorpe; and Gary Flately, 45, of Westmorland Street, Balby, were each sentenced to 140 hours of unpaid work and ordered to pay costs of £200.

Forest fans, Steven Marsden, 54, Jamie Johnson, 31, Christopher Cox, 48, and Danny Smalley, 25, all of Newark, were given 12 month jail terms and six-year football banning orders.