Firefighters prevent gas explosion

Damage after a fire in Great Houghton.
Damage after a fire in Great Houghton.

AN explosion was narrowly avoided after firefighters stopped a blaze spreading to a gas cylinder at a garage site.

Crews from four fire stations across South and West Yorkshire were called to the scene off the High Street at Great Houghton on Saturday at 12.30pm.

A car in one of two adjoining garages was well alight and firefighters immediately started pumping water into the building.

They then spent more than two hours cooling a gas cylinder to ensure there was not an explosion.

The fire is thought to have been started accidentally.

A spokesperson for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “When a gas cylinder is near a fire there is always concern that there could be an explosion.

“We had crews there from Barnsley, Doncaster and West Yorkshire.

“They had to work fast and sprayed the cylinder until it had sufficiently cooled.

“There was no need to evacuate from any premises.

“It is thought to have been started because of an electrical fault inside the garage.”