Doncaster man jailed for vicious street attack

Convicted: Wayne Cousins, 35, of Broadway, Dunscroft.
Convicted: Wayne Cousins, 35, of Broadway, Dunscroft.

A dad-of-four dragged an innocent man out of his car before attacking him in a Doncaster street and breaking his jaw.

Wayne Cousins, of Dunscroft, attacked Wayne Silvester with such force that his victim’s jaw was broken in two places, leaving him needing to have his teeth wired together.

Cousins was forced to tell his children he wouldn’t be seeing them for some time as he was caged for four-and-a-half years at Sheffield Crown Court this week.

A witness who saw the ‘vicious and traumatic’ events unfold said it was one of the most disgusting things they had ever seen.

Cousins, 35, of Broadway, had waved down his victim’s car on the street where his ex partner, Rachel Hart, lives with their children.

Susan Evans, prosecuting, said: “The defendant asked the complainant where his former partner was living. The complainant couldn’t tell him because he was aware the defendant and Rachel Hart were having an ongoing custody dispute regarding their children.

“The defendant slapped the complainant across the face and asked him if he had children. He grabbed him by the throat and pushed his head back into the driver’s seat.”

Mr Silvester punched Cousins in self defence but this made him even more angry and he dragged him out of his car onto his hands and knees.

He then sat on his chest and punched him in the face, before grabbing his head and slamming it into the road surface at least six times. He kicked him in the head three times and there were further kicks to his ribs.

Cousins was eventually restrained by a male witness. He subsequently got into his car and left.

“As a result of the incident the complainant sustained two fractures to his lower jaw requiring surgery to repair it,” said Ms Evans.

“His teeth had to be wired together to ensure a correct bite. He also sustained bruising to his face.”

The court heard an eye witness to the incident on February 2 had said: “It’s one of the most disgusting things I have ever seen. It was very traumatic. He had lost the plot in my opinion. It was so vicious what he did.”

In a statement read out in court, Mr Silvester said: “Following the incident I spent several weeks where I didn’t feel safe. It has affected me financially as well because I feel I’m not ready to return to work. It’s really knocked me for 10. I find it daunting that I could bump into him in the street.”

Edward Moss, defending, said Cousins, who is set to lose his business as a self-employed ground worker, has shown heartfelt remorse for his actions.

“He simply can’t offer any explanation as to why he over-reacted and lost his temper so badly,” he said.

“For him, he has lost his good character forever and that’s important. What’s equally important is the long-lasting and deep damage he has caused, not only to Mr Silvester but also his own family and the shame it has brought upon him.

“He has had to go through the humiliating role of telling his children they won’t be seeing their father for some time to come because of his stupidity.

“He has already learned his lesson and custody for a man with no previous convictions is going to be a very harsh time indeed.”

His Hon Judge Julian Goose QC sentenced Cousins to four and a half years in prison. He will be released on licence after serving half his sentence and must pay a victim surcharge of £120.

Cousins had pleaded guilty to GBH with intent.