Builder who died at Hillsborough found by friend under pile of bodies

Paul Hewitson, one of the victims of the Hillsborough disaster. (Picture courtesy of the Liverpool Echo)
Paul Hewitson, one of the victims of the Hillsborough disaster. (Picture courtesy of the Liverpool Echo)

A builder who died in the Hillsborough disaster was found by his friend under a pile of bodies, a court heard.

Paul Hewitson, 26, was among the 96 Liverpool supporters who died at the FA Cup semi-final on April 15, 1989.

His friend Terrence Moore told the new inquests into the disaster the pair had been caught in crushing on the terraces after a safety barrier collapsed behind them.

Mr Moore said after getting to the ground at about 2.30pm, the pair had actually climbed over a fence next to a gate to get into the ground, because of people being crushed outside the turnstiles.

He said they then went into Pen Three and ended up about 15 to 20ft behind the goal.

In a statement read to the court in Warrington, Mr Moore said: “It felt tight and we decided to try to move out, but it was impossible to move. We were jammed and locked solid.”

He said at this point, the match had just kicked-off.

Mr Moore said: “It was just really, really tight.

“It was almost getting like a Chinese burn on your body it was so tight.”

Mr Moore said he then heard a barrier break.

He said: “The second the barrier broke, everybody just seemed to tilt forward, as it we were on a hinge.

“All I could see of Paul was his head and he was looking towards me and he said ‘get me out, Terry, get me out’.”

Mr Moore said his feet left the ground as he was pushed forward by the momentum of the crowd.

He said: “I was just left sort of floating with my legs behind me, up in the air and my arms were trapped, one on my back and one on my front.”

Mr Moore said he was left with his back to the goal and Paul and another man helped him turn around.

He said: “Once I got facing the goal, I wasn’t aware that anybody was deceased or anything, I just heard people screaming and all different people shouting ‘Help us, get us out, we’re getting crushed’ and then, I don’t know how long it was, I seen somebody who was sticking up nearer the front, he was taller than everyone and that’s when we realised that, people were shouting ‘I think he’s dead, I think he’s dead’.”

Mr Moore said he believes he lost consciousness and when he regained it, there were people piled up in front of him.

He said in his statement: “When I found him, he was lying on his front with his arms outstretched.

“I pulled him clear, lay him on his back but I realised he was dead.”

He said Paul had been under a pile of other casualties.

Attempts were made to treat Paul on the pitch but these were unsuccessful.

He was carried to the Hillsborough gymnasium, where his death was confirmed by a doctor.

The inquests continue.