Chimney repairs lead to roof collapse

Picture: Marie Caley D4132MC
Picture: Marie Caley D4132MC

A TOWN centre shop’s roof collapsed as workers were attemping to repair its chimney, it has been revealed.

National Grid engineers were also called to the empty shop, understood to be selling Chinese alternative therapies, after reports of gas coming from the shop in the Market Place yesterday afternoon.

The Free Press has been told that the shop’s landlord alerted Doncaster Council when the chimney collapsed as builders were trying to restore it at the weekend.

Police officers were also called to make sure the area was safe.

Peter Dale, director of regeneration and environment, said: “Building Control was advised by the landlord that the chimney collapsed and crashed into the roof while workers were attempting to repair the chimney at the weekend.

“Officers have made an initial assessment of the property, had the landlord remove any immediate danger to the public and insisted that a full structural survey is carried out to establish the condition of the building.”

A National Grid spokesman added: “We were called to a report of a smell of gas at the shop.

“We didn’t find any trace of a gas escape, but as the shop was no longer occupied, we cut the gas supply to it off for safety reasons.”

No further details about the occupancy of the shop have been released.