ALERT: RSPCA 'very concerned' after pet is poised with chemicals in Sheffield suburb

An animal welfare charity is 'very concerned' about reports that a pet was poisoned with chemicals in a Sheffield suburb.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 02 May, 2018, 10:43
Bessingby Road, Walkley. Picture: Google

Walkley Neighbourhood Watch issued a warning after a cat was harmed after consuming anti-freeze in Bessingby Road, Walkley.

The poisoning caused alarm as it happened in the same suburb that 11 cats had to be put down after consuming anti-freeze several years ago.

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals has now issued an alert to pet owners following the most recent incident.

“If you think that your pet may have been poisoned please contact your vet as soon as possible. They will ask for details of when you suspect the poisoning occurred and symptoms. You may be asked to bring in your pet as soon as possible.

“Signs that your animal could have been poisoned vary and can include any of the following: depression, lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, breathing difficulties and bad breath, twitching or seizures.

"Different substances can affect animals in different ways. Some symptoms can take days to appear."

READ MORE: Cats in poison alertThey added: "People should be careful when using substances to ensure that other animals are not affected - slug pellets and anti-freeze in particular - and that substances are carefully disposed of, rather than dumped on a roadside or in a park.

“For information on how to detect poisoning log onto www.rspca.org.uk/poisoning.”