doncaster police officers made 11 arrests in a day of action to tackle shoplifting and handling stolen goods.
The Retail Crime Team, which was established in May, aims to provide crime prevention advice and target prolific offenders.
During Friday’s day of action:
· A 30-year-old Doncaster woman was arrested and charged with breach of bail and position of a bladed article. She has been remanded in custody.
· A 21-year-old Doncaster man was arrested and charged with theft.
· A 34-year-old Doncaster man was arrested and remanded for breach of bail
· A 18-year-old Doncaster woman was given an £80 Fixed Penalty Ticket for theft.
· A 19-year-old Doncaster woman was given an £80 Fixed Penalty Ticket for theft.
· A 43-year-old Doncaster woman was given an £80 Fixed Penalty Ticket for theft.
· A 41-year-old Doncaster woman was given an £80 Fixed Penalty Ticket for theft.
· A 31-year-old Doncaster man was arrested and charged with theft.
· A 29-year-old Doncaster woman was already in police custody when another offence came to light following further investigation by the team.
· A 39-year-old Doncaster man was arrested for four thefts and for failing to appear at court. He has since been charged with one of the thefts and for failing to appear at court.
· A 19-year-old Doncaster man was given a street caution for possession of cannabis.
Sgt Stuart Rowse said: “This was another successful day in which the team were able to prevent and reduce crime in retail premises, as well as detect a number of thefts.
“Since the team was set up in May, shoplifting in Doncaster Town Centre has decreased by almost 10 per cent and detection rates in Doncaster remain the highest across South Yorkshire.”
“We will continue to pursue offenders to ensure that we reduce shoplifting offences even further, so that Doncaster remains a safe place for all who choose to visit the town.”
For advice on how to prevent shoplifting, the team can be contacted by emailing Doncaster_retailcrime@southyorks.pnn.police.uk or follow them on twitter @Retailcrimeteam.