Wath stall their way to defeat

Wath's Steve Mason looks for a gap
Wath's Steve Mason looks for a gap

Wath RUFC never really got out of first gear in their clash against Old Brodleians at Moor Road on Saturday, crashing to a 28-25 defeat.

Against a tough Brodsworth side, the hosts never really got going despite taking an early lead.

Strong approach play by the forwards resulted in a penalty, which Andy Appleyard duly converted.

Wath continued to press and wing Tom Swann entered the line making a telling break, but the Brodsworth defence chased back and halted the threat.

The visitors went over for the first score of the game on 25 minutes. Some suspect tackling created a gap out wide, and Brodsworth raced away to score.

Wath regrouped well and from a five metre lineout, the pack barrelled forwards.

Lock Simon Lines was on hand to finish the trademark move and regain the lead by a single point, with the score 8-7.

The next period was pretty much all Brodsworth and either side of half time, the visitors scored two tries.

The first was an impressive team try, and the second made the score 21-8.

All was not lost, however, and the Wath men began to claw their way back.

They enjoyed the majority of possession and territory for much of the remaining minutes, and won a penalty which Appleyard struck sweetly.

The home side continued to dominate and following a series of strong forward drives, scrum half Joe Bartlett was on hand to dive over the ruck and score.

The mood was further lifted when Number 8 Jason Wignell found half a gap around the fringes and sprinted into the 22.

Quick ball was key and when the ball found centre Steve Mason just a metre out, the speedy centre needed no second invitiation to stretch out and score, taking the lead to 25-21.

However there was still 15 minutes on the clock, and Brodsworth gained some strong field position.

From a five metre maul, they scored a try to regain the lead at 28-25.

Wath attempted to formulate yet another comeback, but on numerous occasions handling errors and miscommunication halted any real attacking threats and the visitors held on for the deserved victory.

Wath will aim to re-group next week with a tough test away at Pontefract, where they will be eager to right the wrongs of this weekend.

The club was delighted to get four senior sides out on Saturday.

The Development XV beat Barnsley 38-5, the Third XV beat their Barnsley counterparts a whopping 123-0 and the Fourth XV lost 22-0 to Sheffield Medics 22-0.

On Sunday, the under 14s’ winning start continued with a 57-7 win at home against Morley.